2d to 3d

Finny

Hey,

I've been making 3d wireframes using the standard autocad template in the 3d wireframe 'viewport'

How do I combine/join/group/make/glue the wireframes together so that they become a 3d solid that actually renders with other 3d objects?

For example, if I make 2 circles, place them apart with the same center axis and combine them with 4 joining lines at the standard 4 quadrants, how do I make this into a 3d object? (I know you can just make a cylinder but its an example)

Thx

Finny

ok, but will it work with more complex object, imagine a printer made by individual 2d componants.

or is there a easier/another way to make it 3d?

I am not an expert at solids but you can use extrude, union subtract to make more complex models.

draw a polyline shape then extrude do Vpoint 1,1,1 to see 3d Shape, Union joins two 3d shapes together (must touch or go through) subtract remove parts of a solid using a 2nd 3d shap as the cutter.

Just a hint to maybe get there quicker draw each face in 2d extrude them all and use rotate3d to create a cube union all sides.

Hint save lots of times it makes it easier if 3d steps dont work.

In the example you cite (two circles and four lines) are we to assume you want to create a cylinder? If so, all you need is one circle drawn in the X,Y plane then extruded in the Z plane.

I'm sorry. After rereading your post I see you do not want to create a cyliner via extrude. I get the impression you think you can "glue" 2D objects together to create a wireframe and then somehow create a solid from it. Is that correct?

If you want to impart a taper to it the option is available in the Extrude command. Or, as previously suggested, the Loft command can be used.

Solids can be created using the Extrude, Loft or Sweep commands. They can be combined using the Union command and further refined using commands such as Subtract, Slice or any of the other solids editting commands.

I get the impression you think you can "glue" 2D objects together to create a wireframe and then somehow create a solid from it. Is that correct?

That is exactly what I am asking.

Then I would say the answer is both yes and no. With your example of the cylinder, you can take your 2 circles and connecting lines and use the loft command. Loft from circle to circle along the connectors (called guides). Then you have a cylinder. But you can not just select them and click a button to turn it into a solid.

CADKen did a writeup on using sketchup to make a 3d model of a pickup from a 2d photo. The process would be similar in AutoCAD (though with different commands). Here is the link.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22914&highlight=bryce

Glen