Degree symbol

Coosbaylumber

How do I go about increasing the diameter to a degree symbol? Am using the ROMANS.SHX type of file, and when used the degree symbol is sort of miniature (looking and plotting) in comparision to the numeral next to it.

What number do I have to alter in the .SHX file to enlarge it then?

Wm.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Coosbaylumber

• eldon

• ptatohed

• Tankman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can access some other symbols with the "alt key" + "number", where number is entered from numeric keypad while holding down the alt key.

For romans i get a larger symbol with Alt+167, but it's underlined.

the ".shp" is the uncompiled/editable file version, you'd have to find that or decompile the .shx file.

How do I go about increasing the diameter to a degree symbol?

At the risk of being told that I can't read again, I would suggest that if you are using Mtext, you could stack a lower case "o"

BiggerDegree.jpg

Just type in "%%d " percent percent & d. It will give you a degrees symbol

That is what I am doing at present time and have been for a number of years now.

Wm.

You can access some other symbols with the "alt key" + "number", where number is entered from numeric keypad while holding down the alt key.

For romans i get a larger symbol with Alt+167, but it's underlined.

the ".shp" is the uncompiled/editable file version, you'd have to find that or decompile the .shx file.

Tried as you suggested, but it does not work. By pressing ALT it only brings up a command question right away.

Wm.

At the risk of being told that I can't read again, I would suggest that if you are using Mtext, you could stack a lower case "o"

Eldon... That has been my work-around for some time now.

But, am using DTEXT at present time.

Was told there was a way to alter the original .SHX or SHP file and get an increase in the O size.

Wm.

Coosbaylumber:

Never really noticed but, your point is taken seriously. Older eyes here.

I tried the degree symbol in romans and, truly small. Almost dot like.

Perhaps I haven't noticed 'cause I usually use Veranda (just 'cause I like the font).

ALT-248 = °

ALT-0216 = Ø

ALT-0177 = ±

My favorite symbols, especially the plus or minus symbol, ± ! :twisted:

Tank:

If you use a pen plotter as I do at home, the center to the degree symbol tends to get filled in with ink then. Essentially you then need a magnifying glass to see the vacant center. If I had an easy way to increase the symbol such that I can type it in, then would be more than happy. On occasion I would use the O from some place to make sure I got an open circle then. Sort of depended upon plot order and how much fuzz the pen tip picked up earlier that session.

And, let us ingnore that remark about older eyesight. Ha-rumph.

Wm.

Coosbay:

I probably never noticed, use laser printer(s) or *.pdf for email.

I can see where a pen plotter would fill the ° symbol.

Taking an "O" from someplace, paste where you need it, adjust font size.

Makes sense but, could get busy if you need a lot of degree symbols.

The old eyesight is mine. I don't know if I can read with or without my bifocal glasses. Off, on, off, on, blurry, clear, blurry again. I think I wasted $$ on the bifocal glasses.

The old eyesight is mine. I don't know if I can read with or without my bifocal glasses. Off, on, off, on, blurry, clear, blurry again. I think I wasted $$ on the bifocal glasses.

Am typing this w/o benefit of using glasses, for I must be one of the lucky types, as I visit the eye doctor once every five years. He wants me in there twice per year, but each time I visit him (over past 25 years now) he writes out a identical prescription as used last time. Tries different tests, but the orbs do not change one bit. So continue to use same eyeglasses again.

Also have a friend who runs an Optition place. He says all eyeglasses are free for friends. While working on the old car two months ago, leaned over the lenses fell out, then bending over to P-U everything, I stepped onto the frame. He fixed them in 1/2 hour, no charge.

Wm.

When you find your Romans.SHP file by searching on the web, you then can open the file, find the degree symbol, and change the digit immediately after the 10 digit, to a figure twice as much. Then compile it, and remember what the shape number was, and this is what it looks like (second line of text). Good for bifocals :D

BiggerDegree.jpg

Eldon....

Am having a bit of trouble here now.

Did a search on all computers here, and cannot find the exactly mentioned file. Found several .SHP types, and a lot of .SHX types.

In Vueing the .SHP types, I can readily find the line 127 in a random file and as mentioned it relates to degree symbol, then the "10" and a number of 2.

Looked at romans.SHX file and all I see is Hyeroglyphics. And cannot be edited.

Looked on the original Acad disks, nothing of correct name there either.

How do I go about altering the file, if cannot locate the correct one? Then, can do the compiling I think.

This is simple, and you are correct. Had understood this to be a small job, but I first need to find the proper file name and type.

Wm.

You have to search on the web, as I said, for the SHP file. The SHX files are compiled and you can only read them if you are a computer. I don't think that AutoCAD supply SHP files.

The digit after the 10, I changed from 2 to 4 on line 127. You compile it by typing COMPILE on the command line. So it is really a small job.

Best of luck (if I do it for you, then you would not learn how to do it)

After a bit of further delving, you actually have everything that you need already.

In Express Tools (which we have established that you have access too), there is an OS command line programme called DUMPSHX. This converts existing SHX (compiled) files to the equivalent SHP (decompiled) files.

My computer and CAD software say

Duhh?

What is Dumpshx?

It does not recognise the command. But, to be fair I did not load up every single feature on the CD when installing. It may or may not be there, and acessible. Looking for disk right now.

Wm.

It needs to be run from the DOS prompt (Windows Start > Run > cmd) with the appropriate switches; the method is described in Express Tools' help.

I've always used

Alt+248, for the degree symbol, although I like the %%d process referenced above. Haven't tried that one myself until tonight.

You have to type the 248 part in using the numeric keypad, not the numbers the top of your keyboard. This is just a way of entering the extended ascii characters from your keyboard.

There are many websites that will show you all the extended ascii characters, there are 1-255 of them. Play around with this and you'll find what you're looking for.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys. I just registered. Sorry to bump an old thread but I have the same exact problem discussed herein - my degree symbols (using Romans.shx), is much too small. I don't want the contractor to mistake degrees for feet. I followed this thread and eldon's advice the best I could. I made it this far:

I searched the web for a 'Romans.shp' file. I found this: http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2010/ENU/AutoCAD%202010%20User%20Documentation/index.html?url=WS73099cc142f4875513fb5cd10c4aa30d6b-7eeb.htm,topicNumber=d0e402001

(FYI - I also found it on my hard drive in a file named "acad_acg.pdf")

I copied everything you see on the beige background in the link above and pasted it in a .txt file and renamed the file "Romans.shp". That's as far as I got.

You guys talk about changing a '2' to a '4' located after a '10' on line 127. This is where I got stuck. My line 127 reads this:

" 2,14,8,(-12,-18),14,5,8,(4,18),1,8,(16,-9),8,(-16,-9),2,8,(20,0), "

I do not see a 10. What am I missing?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

I don't know what line number it is because I look for the degree sign heading "kdeg". Then using this information about Shape Code definitions, I would alter the relevant figure for the radius.

Code 00A: Octant Arc

Special code 00A (or 10) uses the next two specification bytes to define an arc. This is called an octant arc because it spans one or more 45-degree octants, starting and ending on an octant boundary. Octants are numbered counterclockwise from the 3 o'clock position

The arc specification is

10,radius,(-)0SC

The radius can be any value from 1 through 255.