Drawing Trees in 2D

Hello, I'm a quite experienced AutoCAD user but I'm wondering if there is a quicker way of drawing vast numbers of trees on a plan rather than inserting hundreds of circular blocks...

fluffly trees easily.jpg

Here's what I'm working on currently. I've outlined the buildings and path forms and am looking to draw in the existing trees. Is there any way to draw a polygonal form around the tree areas and then convert it via some means into a 2d tree representation i.e. like a fluffy cloud style for the trees?

I don't really think there is an easy answer to this but hey, thought I'd ask!

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Assuming you are just looking for a canopy extent line (not individual trees), either:

A: draw a polyline and use REVCLOUD

or B: use a pline and select a linetype that approximates the canopy bubble you are looking for. This is easier to manipulate later than a revcloud. (I prefer this method)

Sounds like a hatch would do the job.

Yeah, I agree with JD Mather. I'd create a custom Hatch Pattern (being the trees). Then draw the boundries of the tree line and fill it with the new pattern.

It might cut off some of the tree pattern in some area's, but I don't thinks that's a big deal.

I think the rev cloud could suggestion get misinterpreted though.

Here's what I ended up with... it's a bit rubbish but I couldn't work out where or if there were any standard 'canopy bubble' linetypes available to me in AutoCad. Thus I ended up using the Revcloud option as it was extremely quick.

Prypiat Layout1 (1).jpg

Jalbes and Mather, is there any way you guys could post a small image of what a tree hatch would look like as I can't imagine a hatch showing trees from above?

notably I will return to this and make it not look so awful... but I'm pushed for time currently :)

Jalbes and Mather, is there any way you guys could post a small image of what a tree hatch would look like as I can't imagine a hatch showing trees from above?

OK, based on what you've illustrated, perhaps this isn't what you want. Regardless, take a look at the following just in case.

Attached is a block of a typical "plan view" tree. Save it to your desktop (or else where) and run the "superhatch" command in AutoCAD.

Basically, follow these instructions (using the tree block I provided instead of the cobblestone the author recommends)

http://www.cad-addict.com/2009/06/autocad-weekly-block-08-cobblestone.html

Try it out on a small area to start - it does use quite a bit of CPU to initially draw but it runs fast again after its drawn.

I hope this helps.

tree.dwg