Double-click to edit entity

MSasu

On my old AutoCAD installation (R2002) when double-click on an entity this will automatically call the edit command for that type of entity (i.e. HATCHEDIT for HATCH) or Properties window if no such command. Now, on a R2008 station, the only effect in the Properties window.

Does anyone know the system variable that controls this behavior or clue me about a workaround for my issue? Thank you.

Regards,

dblclkedit is the variable you are after.

From the help-

DBLCLICKEDIT controls whether double-clicking an object results in the display of a dialog box. If double-click editing is turned on, one of several dialog boxes may be displayed, depending on the object type that is double clicked.

When you double-click most objects, the Properties window is displayed. Double-clicking some types of objects displays specialized editors that are more powerful, convenient, or frequently used. Objects that display specialized editors when double-clicked include

Attribute: Displays the Edit Attribute Definition dialog box (DDEDIT).

Attribute within a block: Displays the Edit Attributes dialog box (ATTEDIT).

Hatch: Displays the Hatch Edit dialog box (HATCHEDIT).

Leader text: Displays the Multiline Text Editor dialog box (DDEDIT).

Mtext: Displays the Multiline Text Editor dialog box (DDEDIT).

Text: Displays the Edit Text dialog box (DDEDIT).

From Help:

Command line: dblclkeditdit

Enter double-click editing mode [ON/OFF] :

If double-click editing is turned on, one of several dialog boxes may be displayed, depending on the object type that is double-clicked.

When you double-click most objects, the Properties palette is displayed. Double-clicking some types of objects displays specialized editors that are more powerful, convenient, or frequently used. Objects that display specialized editors when double-clicked include

• Attribute: Displays the Edit Attribute Definition dialog box ( DDEDIT).

• Attribute within a block: Displays the Edit Attributes dialog box ( ATTEDIT).
  • Hatch: Displays the Hatch Edit dialog box ( HATCHEDIT).
  • Leader text: Displays the Multiline Text Editor ( DDEDIT).
  • Multiline text: Displays the Multiline Text Editor ( DDEDIT).
  • Text: Displays the Edit Text dialog box ( DDEDIT).

Note The DBLCLKEDIT command must be on and the PICKFIRST system variable must be on (set to 1, the default) for double-clicking to work.

Thanks for your answer!

I think is about DBLCLKEDIT system variable; DBLCLICKEDIT seems to don’t be supported in AutoCAD R2008.

But DBLCLKEDIT doesn’t solve my issue – when set to 0 nothing happen on double-click on entities.

Thanks for your answer!

I think is about DBLCLKEDIT system variable; DBLCLICKEDIT seems to don’t be supported in AutoCAD R2008.

But DBLCLKEDIT doesn’t solve my issue – when set to 0 nothing happen on double-click on entities.

It's not supported, but when you set it to 0 it doesn't help? there's a hole here..

Set it to ON as suggested.

My current environment is:

DBLCLKEDIT = 1

PICKFIRST = 1

PICKADD = 1

PICKAUTO = 1

Seems that there is something else that influence double-click behaviour, also.

0=Disabled and 1=Enabled. So you're setting is correct. But you still experience the same results?

Look up the system variable DBLCLKEDIT in your Help files. Click on the Procedure tab. This will bring up an Overview of double click action and how To create a double click action. Bottom line: you'll have to edit the CUI to get what you want. An example is given in the Help file.

It's not supported, but when you set it to 0 it doesn't help? there's a hole here..

Set it to ON as suggested.

All "switch" system variables should accept 1 for ON and 0 for OFF for programming and old releases compatiblity reason.

0=Disabled and 1=Enabled. So you're setting is correct. But you still experience the same results?

Yes, the above was the state of my environment when experimented reported issue. My mistake I didn’t add it on my first post to diminish the “investigation” area.

There are no entries under DoubleClickActions item in CUI interface. So, one "bonus" of the CUI solution replacing old menu types seems to be that have to add by hand something that was once granted?!?

Will try to add some action there - need to parse the help first. Thanks!

There are no entries under DoubleClickActions item in CUI interface.

That's right. You're going to create a new one. That's what the example depicts in the Help file.

• 10 years later...

AutoCAD 2010

The program recently would not enable me to double-click edit text objects. In addition, Properties could not be displayed on any object as well. Both problems displayed "Unknown" command in command line. A couple of Autodesk solution articles suggested double-click editing check box in Options, Open and Save tab, and noun/verb check box in Options, Selection tab. Those settings were correct so dug further and finally found the article with my solution: Options, Open and Save tab. In the ObjectARX Applications block (lower right in window), the variable in the drop down menu of Demand load ObjectARX apps: should be set to "Object detect and command invoke" (It had been "Double load on demand). Immediately both problems were eliminated. Did nothing on my end in that setting, but it's fixed now.

Jerry