Another Video Card Thread

deBroglie

Hi everyone. I'm building a PC for an architect who is going to be using AutoCAD, 3dsmax, etc. I've been looking at this card at the FireGL v7700 but how does it compare to the more recent gaming cards? (5850, GTX 275, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone. I'm building a PC for an architect who is going to be using AutoCAD, 3dsmax, etc. I've been looking at this card at the FireGL v7700 but how does it compare to the more recent gaming cards? (5850, GTX 275, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Mmm, for 3D drawing I'll more go for ATi cards, HD models are great.

At work we use ATI, they bought me a hd2400 for 30 $, and its quiet enough for autocad 3D.

For gaming and 3d working : ATI

For video editing, encoding, recording : Nvidia

Thanks in advance.

The hardware is identical, the price difference is mostly in the addition of the full OpenGL extensions that 3D applications take advantage of, where as games do not need them and use the Mini OpenGL driver set of instructions. A $200 nVidia or ATI gaming card will be more than sufficient for most normal use in 3D use, but not necessarily "rendering". There's not a card out there that really increases performance when doing a render, but a multi-core processor will greatly help that area (ie: Quad Core processors). Check this list for a certified driver, and go with what Autodesk recommends.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/hc?siteID=123112&id=6711853&linkID=9240618