Autocad2010 and i7820 Myltithread...

MarvinX

Hi all, i am curently using this set up for 3d modeling Intel i7 860@2.8Ghz Windows 7 64bit Autocad 2010 The results i go for while using Autocad are 3d hidden sketches like this one http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3557094/4C.jpg The thing is that when i use the hide command i notice that only one of my processors is workin at around 60% the other three physical processors at around 10-15% and the myltithread ones do not work at all!!! That gives me a total of 14% processing power and is making the hide command to take much time! Is there a way to control how the processors are used? Something like the WHIPTHREAD variable. Thank you in advance

The Hide command takes too long? How long is too long?

How complex is this drawing?

What's the file size on it?

How much RAM is installed on the motherboard?

The memory installed on the machine is 8GB (dual channel 4*2GB). The average filesize of a drawing of this complexity is around 20MB. The issue is not the time it takes to hide the drawing but the fact that i dont see Autocad taking full advantage of my processors capabilites while hidding! Is this thing normal or am i missing something? I know Autocad supports multithread and multicore processors (oviously while rendering) but while hidding??? What's the case in this situation? "Just for the record the time it took to hide the specific drawing that i posted above is 55secs" while using only 2gbs of ram and runnig the 4 (only!!!) cores at around 12% average and the multithread ones at 0%"

Source: The CADforum.

The WHIPTHREAD variable controls the way how AutoCAD uses the second processor (or core) for display operations.

• 0 - use only a single processor (as A2000)
  • 1 - regen done on multiple CPUs
  • 2 - redraw done on multiple CPUs
  • 3 - both regens and redraws done on multiple CPUs

Multi-threading does come into play with rendering and xrefs too.

You may have to take a look at the Advanced Render Settings Palette.

I have this setting set to 3. But i think it's only for regenarating and redrawing purposes. Is there a variable for expample "use second processor for hiding" !!! Advanced render settings?

From AutoDesk re: Inventor and multi-core computers. Interesting just the same.

"On a dual-core computer, a CPU-intensive operation that uses 100% of the resources of a single-core processor will only use a maximum of 50% of the CPU for that same operation on a dual-core computer, and only 6% of each CPU on a 16-core computer."