Additional Material Palattes - AutoCAD 2010

Burner

"A typical installation installs less than 100 materials on the Materials tool palettes. An additional 300 or more materials are available by optionally installing the Materials library. The library can be accessed through the Configuration button on Add/Remove features in the installer. By default, all of the Materials tool palettes are installed in the Tool Palettes File Locations path specified on the" - Materials Tool Palettes, AutoCAD 2010 Help

I am having trouble uploading the additional 300 materials from my materials library. I found the default install location via the Options dialogue box of the files tab, but when I got there I only found material samples and no libraries.

Additionally, I cannot find the installer to access the Add/Remove features.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Are there alternative methods to acquire additional materials?

I recently upgraded from AutoCAD 2008 LT to AutoCAD 2010 and have just started learning my way around the new appearance. Simple or step-by-step explanations would be appreciated!

Filestab of the Options dialog box. (See Texture Maps Search Path on theFiles tab for the location of texture maps.)

When I had the same problem in 2007 this is the method I used. It comes straight from AutoDesk. Not sure if it will work for 2010. Feeling lucky?

"Looking for your additional Material Library content? If you don’t see a Material Library tool palette group, right-click on the Tool Palettes titlebar and go to Customize Palettes. Drag all the palettes ending in “ – Material Library” on the left side (Palettes) into the Material Library palette group on the right side. Close the Customize dialog, and your Material Library palette group will now be fully populated with additional content."

I saw this method in one of your earlier posts.

When I open Customize Palettes, I see is the "Material Samples". There is nothing ending with "Material Library". It looks like these palettes may have not been installed. Any other suggestions? Can I download the missing palettes from the internet?

Listen Burner I just checked my version of 2010 and specifically the Tool Palettes in my 3D workspace for the presence of materials. I happened to check the one for concrete and noticed only the samples were loaded (probably exactly what you saw) so I did the following.

I went to the very bottom of the row of tabs and left-clicked on it. A list of all the palettes appears to the left of the tabs. I look down the list and I find the one that says Concrete Materials Library and I click on it. Lo and behold instead of just a handful of samples I have more concrete materials than I know what to do with.

I made sure all my palettes were visible by right clicking on the top tab. I then left-clicked on the very bottom tab. I see the tool palettes list pop-up on the left. The list includes but is not limited to Modeling, Constraints, Annotation, etc. Nothing with the word "Library" in contained within the palette names.

I must have bypassed this option or missed it in the install process. Thanks for the continuous help!

It's unlikely. I am located in a remote satellite office and will not be coming across the install disk anytime soon. I will attempt our methods again, but will probably have to use the sample materials until I locate/upload the material libraries...

Alright, guess we got to do this the hard way...via long distance.

Open AutoCAD 2010. We need to open Tools > Options whatever way you normally do. I'd give you precise instructions but I'm doing this without the benefit of AutoCAD in front of me at the moment.

When you get Options opened up click on the Files tab. Now move down to the entry for Tool Palettes File Location. Expand the entry. The line directly below is the path to the folder that contains all the materials AutoCAD comes with. Write down this path and keep it handy as we're going to need it.

Close the Options dialog window. Close AutoCAD. Use Explorer to find your way to the path you wrote down previously. The material files end with the file type atc whether they are a sample or the full library.

If all you have are sample files in the folder you'll know it right away because all the materials will have the words Materials Sample or Materials S_ or something similar in their file name .

However, if you have libraries as well then you'll see the words Materials Library or Materials L_ or something similar.

Examples:

Masonry - Materials Sample_

Masonry - General - Materials Li_

Now, stop what you're doing immediately and go look for me and report back what you find. Yeah, I mean now. You don't expect me to wait all day do you? LOL Hurry up! I haven't had lunch yet and I am hungry. Go!

Ha, I thought you had given up on me!

I have tried this before, just tried it again. Only sample palettes. Maybe they are in a different location.... I will keep looking.

All from memory? Very impressive. Hope you haven't starved!

Forget you? No. I'm not done torturing your yet. LOL

If the files aren't there then they were not loaded. The files would not be anywhere else.

I'm wasting away here. Skin and bones.

message in a bottle

Hi Burner,

Not sure if you're still trying to solve your problem, but I have just installed the additional '300 materials library' that you are looking for.

The options dialog/files tab will only show you the path where your material palettes are located, it won't install them for you.

To install them, go to your Windows Add/Remove Programs from your Control Panel (or if you're using Vista, it's now called Programs and Features). Wait till all programs have loaded and then click on Autocad 2010.

- Click on Uninstall/Change and you will be taken to setup.

- Click Add or Remove Features (so not Repair/Reinstall/Uninstall)

- In the next window scroll down to Materials Library and place a green check mark infront of it.

- Click Next and it will install the 300 materials.

I hope this helps! :)

Good news... during my travels this past weekend, I was able to locate the install DVD to install the missing materials libraries. Why they were not initially loaded still baffles me.

ReMark, appreciate all the help. Although our many attempts were unsuccessful, I still chalk this up in the win column. This process has taught me more about the new AutoCAD 2010 setup than I could have asked for, but there is still much, much more out there.

Burner:

Glad to hear that you proved this song wrong: "You can't always get what you want.":lol:

Thanks for updating us on the status of your problem.

Pigtails: Did you also have to provide the install DVD?

You know I didn't even think about that. I didn't have to insert any DVDs but I think that's because I have the free student version, which I downloaded onto my computer.

Sorry forgot to mention that! :unsure:

Well thanks for that info Pigtails. Not everyone downloads the software (at least not yet although I think that's where AutoDesk is headed). And, as a you point out, students normally don't get DVDs they download instead. In this case the OP needed the DVD but in at least one instance I've seen it where the files were on the hard drive but the materials still did not show up and that required a different method for gaining access to them.

I was able to locate the install DVD to install the missing materials libraries. Why they were not initially loaded still baffles me.

You have to specifically tell the installer that you want to install the materials libraries. They don't install automatically. The libraries take up quite a bit of hard disk space, so people with limited space, or people who don't do 3D work, can opt to not install them.