bent bracket

taify

Hi,

I am trying to design a Z-shape bracket with 6mm thick steel. I also need to have one plane of the Z-shape (say top plane) bent at 8 degrees to suit the plane (where it fits on assembly) which is at 8 degrees to vertical

I started off with rectangular 2-sketch rotated at 8 degrees and used 3d path to sweep it. So far so good but if i am getting the complete profile bent at 8 deg, where i only want just one plane!!

This has been hugely frustrating!! help please

Thanks..Taify

Attach what you have completed so far.

You might also include traditional 2D orthographic views or a link to a picture of a similar part.

Please find attached jpeg image of what i ve achived so far.

Note the missing part where the angular plane meets the straight one..as i only need one plane bent at 8 degrees..the remaining part needs to stay the same

Thanks

side bracket.jpg

Here is something similar done as a sheet metal part and below is its flat pattern. I drew a rectangle and made it my first "face", added a flange, then for the 8degree off part i drew a sketch and created another face and it connected it to my flange via a bend radius pre-defined in the sheet metal defaults along with the material thickness.

IVSheetMetal.jpg

Attached image is a 2d thing what i am trying to model!!

Apologies to be a pain, but i really need to model it to fit to my assembly..and i am just stuck big time!!

bracket 2d.JPG

Hi.

Here is what I'd do. Something similar along those lines. I can't read clearly a lot of the dimensions, but you can change to suit and put the holes in it. This may or may not be the best method, but it's one method I personally would use so I can change any parameter to suit without the model failing ...

Are you using INV 2010? Not sure earlier versions will have lofted flange.

Part1.zip

Here is another solution without using lofted flange, but it's a bit more work ... again, not sure if this is the best solution, but looking at the drawing more closely, this geometry is more correct than the other as the width of the bracket is 50mm on the straight part and slanted part.

The previous method, I overlooked the 50mm ... so the slanting part is 50, but the the straight part is less than 50mm. Again, you'll have to add the holes in.

Hope this gives you some idea of how to proceed further.

Regards, David.

Part1.1.zip

For 8 degrees part where did you create the sketch? and how did you add the 8 degrees bend to it before connecting it to flange?

Here are some screen shots along the way. After the first face and the flange, i started a 2d sketch on the end of the flange and drew my profile for the next piece at 8degrees. After the sketch i selected the face button. You can see in the 4 picture the Face dialog box. Under Bend the words "BendRadius" are the name of the predefined bend radius in the sheet metal defaults but you can manually enter a value there if you like.

sheet1.jpg

sheet2.jpg

sheet3.jpg

sheet4.jpg