Remove extension line from radius segment

rayhawk

Hi guys, I am new to Inventor here, so please be kind. I am having a problem getting rid of the radius extension line the program creates while making my 2d print. In ACAD, I can simply turn the Extension line off and it will get rid of the extra arc and move the leader down to the radius itself. I would like to do the same thing in Inventor. Thanks. Check out the picture below on the top semi-circle to see what I am talking about.

SSRadiusextension-1.jpg

If you drag the dimension around at some point the arrow should pop to the arc rather than the extension.

In some of my very busy drawings I don't have that option. Even in this one I would have to put the semi-circle dimension callout in an odd position. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Hi,

I zoom in fairly close to the circular object and then pick it for the radius/diameter dimension, zoom out and place your dim'n text where you want. You may have to try this a few times to get the correct effect that you want. I seem to get the effect that you are after with this method, also look at your Edit Dimension Styles.

BillB

In some of my very busy drawings I don't have that option.

As BillB indicated - if you do it right the dimension will be in exactly the same location you have it now - only the arrowhead location will be moved from the extension to the actual arc.

• 11 months later...

Having same problem as rayhawk. I tried the suggestion but I still get the extended radius extension line as shown in rayhawk's original post. What am I still doing wrong? Thanks for your help

Having same problem as rayhawk. I tried the suggestion but I still get the extended radius extension line as shown in rayhawk's original post. What am I still doing wrong? Thanks for your help

The key is to create the dimension, then before clicking to place it, move your mouse to the opposite side of the radius where you want the arrow to appear, then slowly move over the radius and keep the mouse steady. That is a bit hard to explain in words but play with it a bit and hopefully you will get it to work.

ok, I see what you mean, and maybe I'm being to picky! As soon as I try to place the dim past the center of the radius I'm dimensioning, the extension line shows up. If I place the dim. inside the center point the leader/arrow is on the radius. Is that as good as I'm going to get it without using a leader note instead? Thanks for your help and quick reply!

RADIUS.jpg

I thought you were using Inventor, sorry. Click on the dimension, go to the properties, look for "Ext line" under Lines & Arrows, and turn it off. Then you can move it out as far as you want.

Oh for cryin' in the beer. I'm embarrassed I didn't think of that. Thank you. (I do use Inventer 2010 also so the other fix will help) Thanks for your patience! Have a good one. Steve