Volume

StevenMc

Hi,

Does anyone know if AutoCAD 2009 can work out the volume of the overlapping part between two cones? i have attached a screenshot to clarify. Both of the cones are on the same x,y plane.

Or... if anyone could help with maybe a better way to do this. currently i have drawn two cones beside each other and made them overlap slightly and was just wondering if it was possible for autocad to work out the volume of the overlap.

regards,

Steven

untitled.jpg

I forgot and left out the F1. This will provide much more information than I have time to type. Basically you are using solidedit to find the intersection between the two cones and then using the massprop to find the volume. You might also experiment with F2.

Type in intersect and hit Enter and then hit the F1 key.

Type in massprop hit Enter and then hit the F1 key in upper left corner of keyboard.

This works for all kinds of stuff in AutoCAD - basically the way I learned the program.

If you have trouble figuring it out zip and attach your dwg here and I will use your geometry to show you how to find the intersecting volume step-by-step.

Invoke the Inersect command. Select the two cones. The resultant geometry will be the "shared" volume. Then invoke the Massprop command and when prompted pick what AutoCAD left behind after it intersected the two cones. It will display the Mass and Volume along with other information.

Before and after. Two cones (blue & yellow) before using the Intersect command. Resultant geometry (red) after using the command. This is their shared volume.

Cones_Intersect.jpg

Result of MassProp command on the shared geometry (red) shown above.

---------------- SOLIDS ----------------

Mass: 59.5341

Volume: 59.5341

Bounding box: X: 27.4036 -- 32.3243

Y: 55.0968 -- 63.6438

Z: -0.0004 -- 5.3038

Centroid: X: 29.9502

Y: 59.4189

Z: 1.4586

Moments of inertia: X: 210548.3838

Y: 53652.0232

Z: 263801.4506

Products of inertia: XY: 105961.8089

YZ: 5159.3817

ZX: 2602.4070

Radii of gyration: X: 59.4694

Y: 30.0200

Z: 66.5665

Principal moments and X-Y-Z directions about centroid:

Press ENTER to continue:

I: 232.7719 along [0.9888 -0.1325 -0.0681]

J: 120.6437 along [0.1328 0.9911 0.0000]

K: 207.5334 along [0.0675 -0.0090 0.9977]

Write analysis to a file? [Yes/No] : n

INTERFERE is an other usefull command. It can build the intersection without loosing the given cones.

Beat me to it... INTERFERE allows you to do some creative things when dealing with some complex 3D solids.

One example, if I have a series of parts and want to put a through hole through all of them of the same diameter (or even just the same center and I can offset the diameters later), then INTERFERE is what I use. I draw a cylinder on center long enough to go through all components that will be affected. Then create an interference set. Delete the original cylinder, and you will have X individual smaller solids that can then be subtracted from each component.

This is useful b/c if you use subtract and chose multiple objects for you "subtract from" set, they become merged into a single object when the command is completed. This is what I show in the four pictures below. If you have objects on multiple layers, they will all end up the layer of the first object selected. Not a very good part of the SUBTRACT command IMO.

subtract1.jpg

subtract2.jpg

subtract3.jpg

subtract4.jpg

Thanks alot guys for your responses, all very helpful.

i ended up using the intersect then massprop, but also tried out the interfere aswell. both useful commands and did the job for me :)

Thanks again

Steven