Top Posters In This Topic

• TYGA

• ReMark

• Cad64

• bbankston

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can I go off subject a bit?

JD Mather, forgive my ignorance, but why is exploding a criminal transgression in CAD?

Can I go off subject a bit?

JD Mather, forgive my ignorance, but why is exploding a criminal transgression in CAD?

Some CAD users don't know how to edit certain items in CAD and so they start exploding them. Items like blocks, blocks with attributes, hatch, dims, solids, etc. There are times when exploding those may make sense but a lot of inexperienced users use explode as their default position rather than learning what the items are and how to edit properly.

I actually was being serious, ReMark. Smack away - if you must.

I only ask because of a job I just completed. It's a stairwell with glass partitions as the handrail for it and the glass is held up by clips that are attached to posts. Now, I have posts drawn as a block but I exploded it once I have all of them in and then I hide/trim certain lines (like if the grab bar or something else is in front of them).

See attached file.

sample.dwg

There are times when explode is the correct tool to use, but just like with a real stick of dynamite you should really know what you are doing if you are going to set it off. A lot of CAD users don't have respect for the amount of costly damage they can do by clicking an icon. Just do a search here on explode to see how often someone wants/needs to do an "unexplode" of the damage they have done.

Lesson - if you are not sure Explode is the correct tool to use in a particular situation then ask questions FIRST, not after the damage is done. If you know it is the correct tool then you know it is the correct tool - fire in the hole.