What is slowing down my computer?

guitarguy1685

I need to know what part of my computer I need to upgrade to speed up the following...

-Loading Xrefs

In a drawing I might have upto 50 XREF's, maybe more. this seems to really slow me down when opening and saving. These XREF's are on a server. Who would be the biggest culprit of my frustration

CPU, RAM or the Server?

My CPU is Dual Core 3.0gz, 2GB RAM and I don't know what my server is running.

50 xref's? :?

To help narrow down possible issues, try copying the files to your hard drive and see if eliminating the server from the equation helps.

Have you Purged and Audited all the xref's?

As long as you're at it...

You could also benefit from adding more RAM.

What OS are you running?

By the way, have you downloaded and installed services for 2009?

yeah 50 xrefs. we manufacture custom commercial window frames. Each Frame is comprised of many units. Each unit is it's own drawing that gets printed for the shop to build. So Frames may be anywhere from 10 to 40 units. And on one elevation you may have up to 6 frames. So yeah many xref's

I like your suggestion about copying them onto my computer to test if it's the Server, I'll do that first.

I'll have to look up what Auditing xfre's does. And why would I want to purge the xrefs?

For ReMark,

we are looking to upgrade out computers very soon, i agree 2GB of RAM kills me. My home computer is more powerful than my office computer and my home computer is 2 years old lol.

We are currently running XP but the new systems will be Windos 7, 64bit

we are running AutoCAD 2007 at the office.

Thanks for responding

I'll have to look up what Auditing xfre's does. And why would I want to purge the xrefs?

Audit will fix any errors that may be present within each drawing file. Errors in xrefs can cause slow downs and instability in your drawings.

Purge will clean up each xref by removing any unnecessary elements such as blocks, layers, linetypes, text styles, dimension styles, etc. Bloated xrefs will take longer to load than ones that have been streamlined.

Also try using the command line version of Purge which is -Purge, (Be sure to include the dash before the command). The command line version of Purge will allow you to get rid of Regapps which can also cause problems.

You might also want to delete all layer filters within the xrefs. Another known cause of drawing bloatage.