AutoCad LT 97

woodburnbob

Bought it & registered an academic version perhaps 13 years ago. I want to use it again, but...

find no one particularly helpful or hopeful at AutoCad phone.

I have the CD Key: a 14 character alpha.

One is to load the program (the frontend "Portfolio"), enter the CD Key and the software generates a:

Customer Key: another 14 character alpha.

One then gives this to an AutoCad Registration person/machine and

receives a Password: a third 14 character alpha.

Each attempt to re-install via setup.exe creates a new Customer Key,

so my old Customer Key can't be used and it's post-registration Password doesn't match each new version of the Customer Key.

I get nowhere.

I've called Reseller (clueless) and AutoCAD spoke to me and emailed forms aren't obviously relevant; they say they might help if I had a numerical serial number but without it seem mystified. They said it's on the box, which would be long gone. My theory is the CD Key was the serial number when I bought this in the late 90's.

I would love to hear from anyone who has solved this or who understands the security sequences from back then. I'd also love to be able to just open a hidden file and stick in my old Customer Key and Password so I could move along.

Bob

AutoCAD LT 97 for Windows 3.1 right?

The Customer Key would have been stored in the Windows Registry. Ever edit the Registry? Not for the faint of heart or those with all thumbs. Make a backup copy prior to attempting any edits.

I know what the 3 old 14 alpha keys are. I wrote them down and still have them in front of me right now.

I want to install on a new XP machine using them. Setup.exe doesn't provide for me to do that. It implies I must re-register and re-authenticate with a brand new "Customer" Key I'd generate today and then give it to AutoCAd in order to receive a new "Password Key" to finally install-activate.

The trouble is the autocad corp phone person wants some serial number in numerical string, which I'm told was on a box I likely tossed 13 or so years ago. They evidently can't help me in the slightest without it.

A Windows 3.1 registry is irrelevant as far as I can tell.

Still hoping for good answers. Bob

And just how did you think you were going to get AutoCAD LT 97 (specifically made to work in Windows 3.1) to work on a system with XP as the OS? I'm just curious.

Correction.

AutoCAD LT 97 was made to operate under Windows 95 and/or Windows NT 4.

That said, since that time we've had Windows 98, 2000, Me and XP. Tell you the truth that's a pretty big gap. I could drive a Dodge Ram through there with room to spare.

If it's going to be WinXP then you'll need to read this to get it to work assuming of course you can get the problem of the Password Key.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/appcompat.mspx

BTW...it's the Windows Registry I was referring to and not specifically the one for Win 3.1 but for XP.

I may have a copy of AutoCAD LT 97 in the office but I won't be returning until Thursday morning. Maybe I have an installation booklet hanging around somewhere I can consult for further information.

I think I've seen someone on this forum running 97 on XP?

I recall we were all surprised.

Might have a search and see if I can find the posts.

Don't think so; Im sure the guy had it running OK.

Might have been on Autocadeverything rather than here?

(I'll have a look over there).

Thanks for all replies, responses and help, ReMark.

If you tell me it can't be run on XP anyway, even if I had the keys deployed correctly, I'd accept that.

It isn't a huge deal but if it might be done, I'd like to try.

Again, if someone who knows more than me about it, like anyone on this forum probably, told me it's futile and impossible for sure, that would be doing me a big favor.

I'll search a bit more, but if the answer isn't here, I don't see where else it would be.

Thanks again for your help. Bob

The link to the Microsoft site will tell you how it CAN be run. Read it.

You will still be faced with the problem of the missing "key".

Bought it & registered an academic version perhaps 13 years ago. I want to use it again, but...

Academic version? So this was the educational version? As far as I know, those licenses were only good for maybe 2 years or so. I think they have perpetual licenses now, but if you're not a student anymore, Autodesk is not going to renew your license anyway, especially on a piece of software they no longer support. And if you're planning on using this for commercial purposes, you need to buy the LT or Full version anyway.

There are also cheaper, and some free, alternatives to Autocad.

Check this thread: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32387

Back in work this morning.

So, I took a look at the disks I have on hand and I have AutoCAD LT 97 r2 for Windows 3.1 and an upgrade for use with Win98. All that I could see on the floppy disks for Win3.1 is a serial number. On the CD for the upgrade there is a serial number, CD key and a part number. They take the following forms (in order)...

XXX-XXXXXXXX

XXXX

XXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXX

Nothing to indicate there was a "password key".

Addendum:

I should have remembered that student software had a finite working life. My suggestion is that you shop around for a copy of AutoCAD LT 2010. I think there is a promotion right now that brings the price down to $700 U.S.

Well I did get the student version of r12 LT to run on XP in Win95 compatibility mode. I found them while cleaning up an old file cabinet at the house. Talk about a blast from the past ;)

Thanks very much, everyone. You've treated me extremely well and far beyond my expectations. You are a fine group of altruists. I will toss the old disks and move on.

Sadly, since few good deeds go unpunished in this world, each of you should think about carrying analgesics with the next few weeks.

Bob

I ran Acad Lt97 on Wind. 98 and on Wind. 95 more recently. I do not think it will work but perfunctory on anything later. Especially if you have a printer or plotter connected in.

You may now have a damaged disk, as I used to get the repeats, when ever loading up I think) disk #3. Can happen via age. Is simpliest to load onto a hard drive running under 95 then transfer all data to current machine, configure and see if it will work. Which I doubt. I think onl the earliest part of LT is copyrighted, so you may be able to obtain the proper stuff in the center now. But, not via Autodesk.

Wm.