Opening an iges or stp file in Notepad

reggy

I read on another Forum where an iges, or stp file can be opened in Windows Notepad and the name of the software that originated the file would be revealed. I did this and sure enough, it is true. I would like to know what the significance of the many thousands of numbers that are included represent.Secondly, it has been said that an iges or stp file is technically a Text file, and thusly can be opened in Notepad. Is there a reason for this being the case?

What is the actual purpose of software having the ability to have the ability to save as an iges, for example, and another software having the ability to read it and open it, and actually edit it to a degree?

Thank you in advance,

Reggy

When you export or save as a formate not native to your software(.sldprt in this case) you inevitably lose your history. All cad softwares are mathematical in nature so when you have something like a line, its represented mathmatically. The difference in file type has to do with how the model is interpreted. STEP is standards for the exchange of model product data. IGES is initial graphics exchange specifications.

In an iges file the first 3digit number signifies the operation type. (110 is a line). The actual data is composed of 80 character ASCII data.

STEP files are setup a little different with a header and data section. A step file and iges file for the same model will be very different.

Ive never looking into much detail about this stuff, we were only introduced to it as more of a "this is how it is" deal. I cant see any reason you would want to open the files up in text and do anything with them. IGES was devised nearly 30 years ago and was designed with punch cards in mind. the 80character ascII scheme was as used to save/transfer data onto punch cards. as far as step im not sure.

Thank you Dr Mather and Matt;

Matt, the only reason I opened it in Notepad is so that I could see what program it was drawn in, no other reason. It was at this point that I saw the thousands of numbers, and am just curious as to their purpose, is all.

Thanks again,

Reggy