2010->2008

BSC_Intern

Hey everyone,

I am new here to the forums, I have a question, which I am not sure if is even possible, so I figured you guys would know. I am currently running a trial version of the 2010 inventor, and I wanted to use them on my 2008 inventor, but it is impossible to open them. Is there anyway to 'convert' the files from a 2010 format, to a 2008 format?

Thank you.

Tyler

Not as far as i know. You can ofcourse change the file type to iges or step but you will loose your history/model tree info.

Why is it like that? not really sure but other parametric modeling software packages are the same way.

File>Save Copy As Type STEP (*.stp)

If you need feature tree and sketches there is a Feature Recognition add-in here http://labs.autodesk.com

That looks a lot better than Solidworks feature recognition but i wonder how well it works for models that are a bit more complex. Do you have experience with it JD?

Disregard my previous post.

This is kind of a pain to do it this way, sometimes it does not recognize all the features and stuff, is there anything I can do about that? Thanks.

That looks a lot better than Solidworks feature recognition but i wonder how well it works for models that are a bit more complex. Do you have experience with it JD?

As far as I know it works about the same as the SWx feature recognition. Out of luck for Sweeps and Lofts. Holes can be combined into patterns via RMB.

I really haven't palyed with FR much, but these are my observations -

most users try to automatically recognize every feature, what is the point. Is the entire part incorrect?

I tend to prefer to use the manual recognition (in Inventor or SWx), recognizing only those features that actually need to be edited. Also I recognize them in the reverse order the part would be created - recognize fillets, holes, extrude-cuts, revolves, extrudes in that order.

There is some interesting feature recognition in Inventor Fusion. Interesting because it isn't history based. If you get a chance watch this video.

http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=5457

Oh, one more note - in Inventor 2010 Ribbon Interface the Return button to get out of FR environment is a bit tiny and hard to find.

Disregard my previous post.

This is kind of a pain to do it this way, sometimes it does not recognize all the features and stuff, is there anything I can do about that? Thanks.

That's the way it is with all history based parametric modelers. (actually I think the latest Pro/E does have some backward compatibility)

But the question arises - is your entire part wrong such that you need to edit all features?

If so you might look into free Inventor Fusion.

http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=5457

The reason that I want all the features on the 2008 file is in case some day down the road, the part needs to be edited for some odd reason; all the features need to be shown on the part. Thanks for your help though man.