Text Math

Lee Mac

Maybe that was a bad example for the demonstration, as this old program is really only intended to modify the numerical content in the text and does not attempt to interpret the surrounding non-numerical content.

But where ordinals are concerned, perhaps the following function could be of use:

(defun ordinal ( n )
   (cond ((nth (rem n 10) '(nil "st" "nd" "rd"))) ("th"))
)

_$ (ordinal 1)
"st"
_$ (ordinal 2)
"nd"
_$ (ordinal 3)
"rd"
_$ (ordinal 4)
"th"

I was just teasing you with your example...and I know it's hard to compensate for every possibility that arises. Interestingly enough a function to test for that is a good approach. Great idea!

Lee,

love it!!!. Is there a way to select the operand?

Thanks

Brian

Thanks Brian -

Given how old this program is, it is unlikely that I will find time to work on it, as I would wish to rewrite the entire program... however, to suggest an alternative solution for the time being, you may find my Text Calculator program useful as this allows selection of all operands.

Lee

• 2 years later...

@hossam: What is "sours of value"? Do you mean "source"?

Did you read the post from 2014 immediately above yours? The author indicates he will not be making changes to the program and suggests an alternative. Please follow his advice.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

hello from the future. you just saved me two weeks of work. I would like to buy you a virtual beer.

you are an amazing wizard 

🍺

• 6 months later...

Thanks Lee Mac, this is a great lisp. If the number is 1.25 and you add say 1.25 to it, the number becomes 2.5 rather than 2.50. Is there an easy way to keep a trailing 0?

• 7 months later...

This is an amazing lisp.. I uses this a lot... Thank you Lee Mac... I'm thinking if add 2 and only 1st changes to 3rd and others remains same... ie specify the number which will be operated... Is it possible?