solidworks vs catia

sdt111

hi.

i am beginner to 3d design software.i have options to learn solidworks and catia. which one i should do???

please help.........

cerrently i am pursuing b.tech in mechanical engineering..........

Catia V5 is used just as much in the Automotive industry as it is in the Aerospace industry. It all depends where you wan't to go in terms of career as to which you choose.

I would say learn both if possible, if not go for Solidworks if you are staying in general mechanical engineering. There are jobs in the Automotive and Aerospace industry that do use Solidworks, just nowhere near as many as Catia V5, it seems.

Or unigraphics. GM, and freightliner both use ugs.

Solidworks is very powerful and even better, its very user friendly. Programs like ugs and catia are very very powerful programs but require a whole different level of user to be able to utilize the tools available to you. I know our school has a class where during the semester students from 4 different schools around the world work together with an OEM to produce a single part for a vehicle. This is typically something like an interior door handle/linkage but the benefit of the program is working together on a single assembly with many different users. I think going from catia to SW would be easy, the other way is a little more work.