Saving AutoCAD Interface "Templates"?

My apologies Styk. I just screwed up my interface by switching workspaces, which I had never done before. Tried to restore it by switching the workspace back. That didn't work. Then I tried setting my profile to current that didn't work. However, I was able to restore it by re-importing my profile and setting it as current.

That's because you didn't shut down AutoCAD. From what I know, Profile changes are made only in two occasions, either (1) you switch to another profile or (2) you close AutoCAD. THAT'S when profile and interface changes will "set in place". So, AutoCAD never got the chance to save the Workspace so that's why when you re-imported it worked because the CUI didn't save because you didn't restart the program. Had you typed WSSAVE and saved the workspace before switching Workspaces, you would have been fine.

Just to be clear, it's not the Profile that actually restored your Workspace, it was the lack of shutting down the program which in turn did not save to the CUI when you started switching Workspaces. And for the record, Workspaces are freaking quirky anyways. Even to this day I'll open up AutoCAD and I'll see an extra Toolbar open or something..... And I'm staring at my computer screen like,"Okay, WHEN did I use this and WHY is it open???" :)

And no need to apologize, I still think that I know this damned program and it'll throw me for loops too - all the time. I've had to tuck my own tail between my legs time and time again on this board, but there are certain things that I would like to say I'm pretty darned sure of and Workspaces are one of them because it took me a really long time to finally understand the differences in Profiles, Workspaces, and the CUI and how they all work together. Now that I've got it down, Autodesk will probably change it up again.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• RobDraw

• Tiger

• Alex0856

Styk, I have my profile saved in a remote location for re-importing just for the purpose of restoring my toolbars. I tried setting a different workspace and shutting down the program. After restarting, the toolbars were like they were when I shut down. I deleted my profile from the list, re-imported my saved one and my toolbars were just the way I had them set for my profile.

Styk, I have my profile saved in a remote location for re-importing just for the purpose of restoring my toolbars. I tried setting a different workspace and shutting down the program. After restarting, the toolbars were like they were when I shut down. I deleted my profile from the list, re-imported my saved one and my toolbars were just the way I had them set for my profile.

Yeah, but try it on another computer. The reason why it's working is because your profile is still mapping the path of your CUI file which has not changed at all. If you try it on another computer with AutoCAD installed, then you're dealing with a new CUI file that does not have your Workspace saved. This is why a Profile does not matter at all, if you import the Workspace by using a CUI Transfer, THEN you get the "snapshot" of your interface back (Toolbars, Menus, layout, etc....)

Look, trust me, I have AutoCAD MEP installed at home as well. I will tell you this.... when I know I'm bringing work home and have to use AutoCAD and I know I made changes to my Workspace, I don't even think about exporting my Profile and putting it on my USB Thumb drive to take home. All I do is take my *.CUIx file and that's it - when I get home I simply Import my Workspace and overwrite it. I bounce back and forth from my computer at work and at home, and this is the only thing I need for my "interface layout" (aka Workspace) to match that of my one at work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, sorry for the slow reply.

The profiles idea didn't work exactly how I wanted, because we customize the tabs and keep a Home tab for 2D and 3D to avoid switching profiles.

Any ideas?