co-ordinate conversions from xy to dms

pheonixrising

Hi.

Id like to know whether its possible to convert xy co-ordinate data into dms data.

i have a number of datasets in tabular format. the xy co-ordinates were captured from various datasets. i suspect that local co-ordinate systems (i.e. relative co-ordinates) were used for the different datasets. why i suspect this is because i have tried to project the xy data in ArcMap but this has not worked. i am unable to contact the people who compiled the original datasets (to determine what scaling factors (if any) were used.

Id like to convert the captured, tabulated xy data into DMS (degrees, minutes, seconds).

I have had a look at tutorials on the internet but either they are for AutoCad (which i do not have access to) or they are for creating drawings for which real world co-ordinates can be projected from there. I also have not mentioned that i only have access to ArcMap.

Would anyone be able to assist with:

a) recommending suitable freeware to import these xy data into (e.g. cad or equivalent);

b) suggestions on how to go about converting / transforming these data into DMS?;

c) suggesting any websites that may be useful to solve this challenge.

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

Holding thumbs!

Thanks in advance!

Hi Phoenix.

I have moved your thread to a more suitable forum, since this does not seem to be an AutoCAD question.

as to your question, I have no experience with latitudes and longitudes but if you don't now where the origin (0,0,0) of the coordinates is, how can you translate them to lat-longs and get them useful?

Also I am curious as to why you need this done? Wherever I hear lat-longs I think seafaring vessles, am I close?

Hi Tiger.

No worries at all. thank you anyway. its just unfortunate that i cant get hold of the people from whom the data originate.

lol lat-long can be associated with sea faring vessels, yes. but i think this is where a lot of confusion comes from in conversion from Cad based programs to GIS based programs.... or so i hear and experience at the moment, anyway. lol

a dataset that is comprised of a number of smaller datasets needs to be standardised, in terms of data input, so that the output is standardised and because the methods of standardisation also need to be documented so that other end users can understand (and if necessary, modfiy) the processes applied. if a mistake happens to be picked up along the line somewhere, at least the processes / applications / modifications are documented and new processes...modifications can be applied as necessary....

hope that makes sense...?

thanks for your help anyway. :)