A quick way to redefine standard blocks

We have just done an overhaul of all our standard block symbols. These ultimately get saved into our title block template files.

Is there an easier way than Inserting each block individually?

Is there a variable that can automatically Redefine all blocks if I drag them in using ADC? The default setting is that any block that is already defined in that drawing will not get redefined.

Redefining the block within a drawing, usually automatically updates all of the other blocks already inserted in that drawing. That's kinda' part of the point to using blocks.

It only works if you redefine an existing block, use the same block name, and haven't exploded the other blocks.

**Update** sorry, I misunderstood.

The easiest way to bring in a bunch of blocks is to bring in a DWG that has those blocks already in it.

Set your EXPERT system variable to 2, and it will suppress that dialog as though you hit "Y" to answer it

I would normally write a script file something like...

-insert
blockName=
y

zoom
e
erase
l

notice the = sign. That tells AutoCAD to look for a new definition - BUT MAKE SURE the new definitions are available, either in the current folder or a pathed one.

a couple of weeks ago I was told how to avoid actually having to insert the block and then erase it but I have already forgotten.

The easiest way to bring in a bunch of blocks is to bring in a DWG that has those blocks already in it.

not sure that would work. If you are bringing it in as a block, sub blocks won't get redefined. It might work if you bring it in as an exploded block though, I have never tried.

One thing I have done in the past is to create a drawing that has all of the redefined blocks in it. Then insert into that drawing the drawings with that need updating. After you've inserted, then save out the drawing, overwriting itself.

If you are doing this with many drawings you will want to purge the update drawing periodically. Also you will need to be careful with you UCSs and such but I assume you knew that.

Essentially it is doing things backwards from what Dave was talking about, but all nested blocks get redefined.

Once you've proven it works it is simple enough to write a script for mass updating.

Thank you for all your replies.

Set your EXPERT system variable to 2, and it will suppress that dialog as though you hit "Y" to answer it

I looked up the EXPERT system variable and it looks to be exactly what I am after (i.e. a way to override the "duplicate definition ignored" to redefine all block references.

Thanks Mike.

All the other replies look sensible and efficient. Unfortunately we only have LT. I have noted them for that day I dream of when we all get upgraded!

I would normally write a script file something like...

-insert
blockName=
y

I think you can cancel (esc) after the "Y" (Yes to redefine) before you specify any insertion point, because then the block definition is already redefined.

• 2 years later...

Grave-digging here. I am trying to redefine many blocks in many files. I am doing signage layouts on architectural floor plans. About 40 different signs (blocks) .

So I have one wblock to contain the 40 different signs ( blocks ) . What I would like to do is - if a block needs to be edited that I simply edit in the wblock file and the insert the wblock into my layouts to "impose" the edit in that way.

I have set expert to 2

I have inserted the wblock - exploded

I have inserted the wblock - not exploded

I always get "Duplicate definition of block xxxxx ignored"

If I make a wblock of just one sign only and insert it - I am prompted to "redefine block / don't redefine block".

Has anyone found a way to insert a wblock - containing multiple blocks - where the default is set to "redefine block"

sinnerboy (for some reason, seeing that you are in Ireland, I find that quite humorous) :lol:

Go back a couple of responses to my original reply to the post, that contains an answer that should do the job. Try it, if you need more details I've added it as a tip to my website with more information.

Good luck.

Happy to amuse you Patrick.

I can't use your solution as the files I edit are heavily laden with xrefs.

Please take my word that it would be a cumbersome exercise.

Thanks for responding all the same.

Edited by sinnerboy

the duplicate definition ignored is telling you that a block you are inserted contains within it a block already defined in the drawing. To update fully the blocks you must also insert these buried blocks. Again, I would insert it then erase last.

Grave-digging here. I am trying to redefine many blocks in many files. I am doing signage layouts on architectural floor plans. About 40 different signs (blocks) .

So I have one wblock to contain the 40 different signs ( blocks ) . What I would like to do is - if a block needs to be edited that I simply edit in the wblock file and the insert the wblock into my layouts to "impose" the edit in that way.

I have never found a way to automate this. I have discovered the Tool Palette is the best way to update standard blocks one drawing file at a time.

1. Save the block inside a drawing somewhere central.

2. Open the drawing, select the block, and copy + paste it into a tool palette.

3. You can then drop that block into any open drawing by clicking or dragging.

4. Once that block (the one that has all your other blocks inside it) is defined in a drawing then right click on the tool palette and click Redefine. This will update all block definitions from the old existing to the new. It does them all at once and overcomes the "duplicate definition ignored" message.