How to start a new electrical schematic.

ReMark

After several days away from the program-from-hell I'm back at it again. Trying to work my way through the tutorials but they all assume you have a working drawing done and now you're modifying it in some way, shape or form.

What I want to know is what the first three steps might logically be in creating an electrical schematic. I'm assuming creating a "ladder" must be one of them. Then it's adding the various symbols for fuses, switches, etc.?

Anyone care to share some of their accummulated wisdom? Right now I'm blind. Can someone give me a light?:lol:

Hi there, what you sugested is correct steps:

1. Ladder

2. insert symbols

3. once you create a circuit you can create a template of it an re-used

that's what I do, and works just fine for me.

The ladder I kind of got now. Symbols I'm working on. I wish all our circuits were similar but they aren't. I have a feeling there may be a lot of one-off drawings.

that is true about not all the ciruits are similar but you can use a typical and settings that you already created. When you create a circuit of 3p motor with typical CB and OL you can use that just for base and modified for other circuits let say for a VFD wiring. when you bring a circuit that you have saved you can modify for you needs. it is not a solid block.

Not all electrical drawings use ladder logic diagrams. When I was doing control panels we did, but not for building power distribution centers, nor for the subsea tools I do now.

just my 2 cents

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, not all schematics use Ladder based tagging. You can also do Grid/Zone based tagging which is also very popular. This is something that is set up in the project then you simply use the ladder flyout to get the additional referencing tools.

We'll have to use ladder based tagging as it mostly closely matches what we've done by hand over the years. If I went and changed things up the electricians would kill me.