Animation Problem

vertical horizons

I am not at my work computer, and I (for whatever reason) can not log onto it from home. Therefore, I am not able to submit an .IPT to fully illustrate what I am trying to ask here.

I will attempt to explain what I am trying to do.

I want to be able to show a door opening and closing.

When I built two hinges, I was able to animate them, showing one of them moving along a hinged path against the other one. I set up an angle constraint between the two flat surfaces that faced the same side of the hinge. I set it to read a starting degree of 45, with an ending degree of 110. Everything worked just fine.

When I create a hinged door, there are no other surfaces other than the door and the hinge to put a constraint onto.

I have tried choosing the different constraint options, but to no avail.

If need be, I will try to submit an .IPT or an .IAM tomorrow. (When I "SAVE COPY AS" the .IPT ot .IAM, then RMB to choose "SEND TO", I don't see the option of compressing the file.)

I guess I just need an understanding of which constraint option to use, & which surfaces to select.

Probably best to drive an angle constraint between the door and the jam and some simple insert and mate constraints for the hinges.

Here I am only driving an angle constraint (red arrows) the hinges are only mated to the door.

door_hinge.gif

KC

You might need to make your hinges 'Flexible' sub assemblies.

(Kencaz - Nice animation by the way!)

I didn't explain the "hinge" part properly.

The hinge in this case is actually just a circular rod running down the length of the door. There are no plates attached to it.

I don't know if this makes a difference to the situation.

However, today's another day. So, I will attempt the movement again.

I figure if I can understand how to make the door swing, then I'll be able to animate other objects.

Let me rephrase the problem ...

While in an .IAM, I set the angle constraint to the object, then I open an .IPN. In that .IPN, I go to the item that I constrained.

From there, I attempt to use the "TWEAK COMPONENT" command to make the door swing out. But that command only let's me drag the door along the X, Y or Z axis.

What am I doing wrong here? How do you tell the tweak command that you want the door to SWING open?

Well, while searching the HELP section, I found part of my constraint problem.

... While in an .IAM, I set the angle constraint to the object, then I open an .IPN. In that .IPN, I go to the item that I constrained.

From there, I attempt to use the "TWEAK COMPONENT" command to make the door swing out. But that command only let's me drag the door along the X, Y or Z axis.

What am I doing wrong here? How do you tell the tweak command that you want the door to SWING open?

This is from the help section ...

Note Presentation views do not recognize assembly constraints for any purpose other than creating the first automatic explosion. You can manually tweak a component along any specified vector.

Still doesn't solve my animation problem, though.

Your probably better off using Inventor Studio then an (.ipn), presentation file to animate your constraints.

I really only use presentation files for exploded views but you can get limited animation effects.

KC

Found my solution ...

All of my tweaks had to be made from within the .IPN.

It took a little time playing around with the TWEAK COMPONENT dialog box, but I figured it out.

Man, it feels good to see the animation work.

I appreciate all of the responses. :thumbsup:

Man, it feels good to see the animation work.

As others have mentioned - forget ipn for animations - only use for exploded assembly idws.

Since they put in Inventor Studio way back when, everyone I know uses Studio rather than ipn.