Changing the Block Insertion Without Changing the location

Dustyg

I'm not sure how to word this but here it goes. I want to change the insertion point of my block without the object moving relative to the current insertion point. In other words without the object moving at all. I just want the insertion point to be different. Is there anything available that does that? A lisp routine or something?

well you'd have to write the lisp

redefine your block

update the block in your drawing

move the block

can't see that being too hard

infact you could do it as a button macro if you can't do the lisp

come on then strix - lets see you do it :D

The challenge was to not move the block.

If there is only one instance of the block then you could do as you say but if there are several once you redefine the block, they ALL move. And if they are of different orientations they will leap about in different directions - and if they are different scales they will leap by varying amounts.

and guess how I know. :cry:

Hehe - I bet that was a good day DB :?

I'm guessing you did this to a bunch of electrical symbols - which wouldn't work very easily

I was making the wild assumption that maybe this was a title block or something

Can you give us more info or a screen shot Dusty?

(and you KNOW I don't have access to AutoCAD here DB :P )

actually it was trying to convince somebody on here that they should have chosen a more appropriate insertion point than (global) 0,0 for their detail baloons. They had them at all angles and scales and couldn't work out why they disappeared off page when they were redefined. Some were circles and it was posible to pick a reference, store that for each block, redefine the block and then move them in turn back to their respective reference points. I got fed up after the circles and left them to work out how to do it for the other shapes.

Back to the point we were making now I've thought about it a bit. You can redefine your insertion point which will move all the blocks. If they are all at the same angle and the same scale you can QUICK SELECT them all and then move as a group.