autocad 2010 HP 5550 printer issues?

brainbanana

Hey there- I have AutoCAD 2010 on Windows 7. We just bought a new network printer installed on out print server. I installed the printer on my machine using the drivers disc. It works fine in everything else (Coreldraw, Word, excel, etc...), but everytime I try and print with it from AutoCAD, it closes the application. I tried using the add-a-plotter wizard, but the HP 5550 is not listed as an available printer. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

It says on the microsoft site that the HP Color LaserJet 5550 is compatible with 64 bit Windows 7.

Doesn't make sense. All other Windows-based apps can access the printer but AutoCAD can't?

Have you tried the Support section of the HP website?

I hadn't done the HP thing yet. It seems to me like I should be able to set up a pc3 for it, but when I try to set one up, it doesn't list the HP 5550 as a choice in the plotter section. I had some minimal success by choosing some of the other HP plotters listed, but it still wouldn't select the proper paper size, etc... I am still experimenting with it.

Do you think it would have made a difference if you had gone through the Windows Control Panel and Add a Printer (or Add a Device)?

That is how I added the printer to my computer, through the windows control panel. But when I select the printer from my print menu in AutoCAD, and hit print, it shuts AutoCAD down, saying it has stopped working. It does print fine from all my other software, so I figured I need to create a pc3 file for the printer or something in AutoCAD. I am having trouble creating a pc3 file that works correctly for this printer. I will probaly contact HP, but i don't expect as intelligent a response as I may get here...

You'll have to go through the HP forums. Most answers come from other users and not HP techs themselves.

You might find some troubleshooting information on the HP website though.

Something else comes to mind. Is Win7 32-bit or 64-bit? How about the version of AutoCAD that you are running?

And lastly, did you download and install Update 1 for AutoCAD 2010?

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys

..same problem here. Autocad 2009 on a new system win7 64bit and crashes when sending prints to our old hp 5550n using window selection at layout space.

i thought it must have got to do something with the printer driver. i hope ReMark's post solves it. i'll update. ..nonetheless, thanks for posting this. i thought it was

just me.

cheers!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I read on some forum that if you install a local printer using port lpt1 then install the printer with the local shipped win 7 (64bit) pcl5 driver, then changed the printer port to the ip address of the printer it should work. Well it did for us, autocad now plots ok. So thats a work around/fix that has worked for a number of peeps... Try it, good luck

Ed.

Interesting tip. Then your recommendation is to not install the original HP driver and let Win7 substitute its own driver right?

Yeah worked for me :) Just let win 7 list the printers and select the pcl5 driver.

Good luck.