plotter - what to buy?

chrisdarmanin

Hey all

we are an HVAC contracting company, we got a quote for two large scale printers from xerox, models are

xerox 6204 (laser B&W - 36" roll)

xerox 7142 (inkjet colour - 42" roll)

the salesgirl told us laser is cheaper to run but more expenisve to buy

which one would you go for? i like to have colour in my drawings but laser is faster & cheaper

thanks guys!

What does a toner cartridge cost for a 36" output lazer?

What is the cost of a black inkjet cartridge?

What is the cost of a color inkjet cartridge?

How many plots/prints do you make in a day? A week? A year?

Will you be purchasing a maintenance plan for the new printer? If so, what are the costs for each?

Which printer consumes more energy?

How much need is there for color prints?

details are going to be mailed soon.

i'm not the one buying the ink but the boss told me its MUCH cheaper to run about 6 cents per meter (not that i care lol)

maybe about 10 to 15 plots per week

colour would be useful for those overcrowded plantrooms or schematics though usually i dont need colour for small projects

The moment you buy black and white you will wish you had colour past experience.

You can plot black and white on a colour machine !.

What about all those posters of the kids etc

I had a client once ask why he had run out of ink so quickly (b&W) he thought the plotter was economical I asked him how many plots he had done he replied 250 in a couple of days cartridge $30 6 rolls of paper $100 cost 52 cents a A1 sheet. I thought 250 was pretty good

Has anyone of us ever sat down and actually calculated the cost of printing one drawing? There's the machine itself, maintenance contracts, toner or ink, paper, electricity, and don't forget our time. And that's if everything works right and there are no glitches. What happens to that cost when the drawing fails to plot because there is some software glitch or hardware malfunction? Just idle curiosity.

What happens to that cost when the drawing fails to plot because there is some software glitch or hardware malfunction? Just idle curiosity.
Well by the time you've rung Autodesk, then done as they've advised and rung HP, who suggest you speak to Autodesk, then given up, gone for a coffee and logged onto CADTutor instead....