2010 Camaro Model

bhamze

This is my fist attempt modeling a car. I still have many body components to complete and I should be done in a few weeks. Please leave feedback or recommendations to improve the model. Thank you

Bill

Back_View.jpg

Top_View.jpg

Right_View.jpg

View_A.jpg

View_B.jpg

Camaro_Asm.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shift1313

• bhamze

• Dana W

• Auggy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it looks pretty good. Do you have any more views you can put up and maybe some surface analysis shots. do you have blue print images of the car?

Matt,

I've posted more model shots of the Camaro. I'm recently new to surface modeling and I'm not sure of what surface analysis shots your looking for. Are you looking for curvature or zebra stripes shots? I do have blue print images of car if your interested. Thanks for your input.

Bill

I would love blue print images if you dont mind. good ones are hard to come by and i would love to try my hand at modeling that car as well.

I was interested in seeing the Curvature shots. Also id love to hear your approach to modeling it as well. I try to use a lot of projected curves for this type of thing and id be interested in hearing if you have the same approach.

Matt,

Were would you like me to send blueprints? I used a ton of projected curves and just about every surface tool option available. I learned lots, mostly of what didn't work. I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about. It was stressful but enjoyed the learning curve. I think model could be better, that's why I asked for other people opinions. Maybe when your done with your model we can compare the two, that would be great. Thanks again.

Hey bill, i just sent you an email via the forum with my email address in it. Thanks! Im currently working on an audi tt roadster model but i would love to model that camaro instead:) And yes i know exactly what you mean:) I find that I use loft and fill surface the most out of everything.

Hey bill, i started drawing this car last night(using inventor) and i do have a comment/question for you on your model. Im curious if there was a reason you split the door and front 1/4 up into multiple sections. I didnt get very far but i started with the door and 1/4.

the door was two boundary(what would be filled surface in SW) patches and the fender so far is 3. I drew the top section of the fender then trimmed the arc for the wheel arch.

DoorOverlay.jpg

Matt,

I started with the top of the car ( hood,roof,trunk). When I got to the door section I had to create splits lines to create a boundary surface that wasn't distorted. Those split lines created edges in new geometry. I also have tangent edges set to visible, when set to removed the lines are no longer visible. After modeling the Camaro I thought of different/easier ways of doing so. Next time my modeling approach would be different. After all, you do get better with experience. Why did you decide to use Inventor? Ive never used the software, is it better than SW.

That makes sense.

I used Inventor because I dont have Solidworks at home. I prefer solidworks in every aspect especially surface modeling. The only way I can use SW at home is to connect to my work computer which is painful to do when using any CAD software.

I got the front end assembly completed. The lights still need some attention, I will tackle those details later. I want to complete the rear section of car first. I will post update shortly. Thanks

Front_Grill.jpg

Hey I would love to try to model this as well, I am still trying to complete the tutorial of the Audi R8 and am learning to do surface modeling as well. If there is a possible way to get a hold of the blueprint images i will trade the blue print images of the Audi R8

Where would you like me to send the prints? Ive tried posting the images on this forum, but files were too large. Let me know, and I'll be glad to help.

Bill

Hey I would love to try to model this as well, I am still trying to complete the tutorial of the Audi R8 and am learning to do surface modeling as well. If there is a possible way to get a hold of the blueprint images i will trade the blue print images of the Audi R8

Hey Auggy, did you buy the audi r8 SW tutorial? I was curious as to how good it was.

This site

http://carblueprints.info/

has a lot of blueprints on it. Its where i got the R8 one to draw a few months back.

I finally found where I originally got the prints. It took awhile because the prints were mislabeled. It was filed under 2008 Camaro. Below is link. Enjoy

the-blueprints.com/blueprints/cars/chevrolet/23175/view/chevrolet_camaro_2008/

Here you go. I need to spend more time and detail the tail/headlights a little more, I'm not satisfied with the outcome . I'm also going to attempt a rendering of the model using Photoworks. Ive never had the need to render a model so any advice would be appreciated. I'm sure it will be all trial and error but any tips from experienced veterans would spend up the process. Thanks to all for the comments and support.

Bill

C_Back.jpg

C_Front.jpg

C_Iso_A.jpg

C_Iso_B.jpg

C_Right.jpg

C_Tag.jpg

I think the model is looking great and rendering with SW is easier than any other software ive used. The one big detail that sticks out for me on your model is the door handles. Also all of your edges are hard edges. you may want to knit them together(if they arent) then add small fillets to the edges. Hard edges will really stand out in the renders.

Matt,

Thanks for the advice. I will do what you suggested. Your right about the door handles, they were bothering me too. The blueprints show this type of handle, I should of modeled the handles that are currently featured on the vehicle. I will remodel the handles tonight. Thanks again for the help and comments.

Bill

Hey Auggy, did you buy the audi r8 SW tutorial? I was curious as to how good it was.

It was good, I'm a teacher at a local high school and was looking for something that high school kids would like to try and I found that he doesn't help you understand what he is doing and some of the videos leave a lot to be desired but overall I would say it was good for me because I am very new to the software and of course the school has no money to send me to school to learn the software so it is trial and error for me...

bhamze,

Super job - hope it allows you to do the fillets. When you finish can you share the sldprt file?:) I would like to write a step-by-step tutorial for students using your model as the exercise.