Mental ray fatal error

p_nova

Please help!!!........................

I've been trying to render a scene on two different computers already, but keep getting the same message:

"MEM 0.0 fatal 031008: can't allocate 5168672 bytes"

Since I'm trying to help someone else, who's model I've imported in 3dmax in 3ds file format, I was hoping that maybe there is a way to optimise the geometry and/or reduce the number of faces/ clean the file altogether (without having to remodel everything)...

Does anybody know if there is such a command? (I guess I'm hoping for a miracle...)

I am also attaching the Summary Info in txt format, just in case it might help...

Set Up.txt

The computer I'm using has 92.3 GB free hard drive space... 2.00GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM, total total paging file size (on all drives): 6144 MB...

Total paging file size might be 6144MB but if it is not contiguous would that pose a problem? I'm sorry to prolong this discussion. I'm looking for a reason other than one to do with the file itself for the cause of the problem. Perhaps I am way off base here. My apologies.

No apologies, please! Thanks for trying to help!

Yes, the pagins file size is contiguous and I am also hoping that it is not the file, because my deadline is tonight and I was hoping to at least attempt one or two renders... but the program keeps shutting down on me....

Someone else posted a similar error message. He got the following as a response.

had the same problem.

fixed it by opening : RENDER SETUP (F10)

RENDERER PANEL

RENDERING ALGORITHMS

then in the RAY TRACING dialogue

Method: BSP (default)

Size: 10 (default)

Depth: 20 (change from default 40)

everything then rendered fine

how or why this worked i have no idea

hope this works for you

cheers

keith

max 2009

athlon dual core

windows xp pro 32 bit

Thanks for the link to the area forum! I started to read it and I wander if Maya and 3ds Max are similar when it comes to this. I will try, see if it works...

Thanks, that is actually very close to the messages I got... That is why I was hoping that maybe there is a command in 3ds Max that would allow me to purge/clean or adjust my geometry (maybe convert it to a different forms??...)

If not, I guess the scene will simply not render with 4 RAM............

Thanks again anyway for the quick replies!!

Remember that system processes eat up some of that memory as well. It's not like all the memory is 100% dedicated to the program you're using. Have you tried shutting down as many of the processes as you possible can? Also, turn off anything that might be running in the background (ex. - antivirus program).

From the text file you posted:

Mesh Totals:

Verts: 2098025

Faces: 5448604

That's quite a lot of faces for a 32 bit machine with only 3 GB RAM.

Can you post a screenshot of this scene?

The reason Max keeps shutting down is because the rendering engine doesn't have enough RAM to allocate all the information its trying to compute. A faster computer with more RAM should solve the problem. Do you have access to such a machine?

If not, then you will need to simplify your geometry to cut down on the number of faces, but you would probably need to get it down around 3,000,000 or less.

Or, try rendering your scene in smaller pieces and then composite it back together in Photoshop. See if you can render background objects in one render, middle ground in a second render and then foreground in a third render.

"Experienced modellers seem to know exactly how to manage a project, from drawing in AutoCAD through using MAX/VIZ creation and modifying tools, lighting, viewing, materials and production techniques. They basically know where to start and where and when to stop. On top of this knowledge (through experience) they tend to have lots of assets at hand such as models, textures and techniques that work time and time again. They are efficient and have a knack for producing optimised scenes" (source: http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/3ds-max/optimisation-and-workflow.php)

Thanks for the quick reply!... The project actually had to be submitted yesterday, so I did most of the work in Photoshop. Regardless, I am still challenged to see the rendering done, one way or another. I remembered the quote I listed above......: it's so true!

Cad64, you're right, the model HAS too many faces. That is why I thought I could clean it "instantly" with some "magic command" that Max came up with (maybe?). Well, it will have to be corrected and then imported again, so it should work. In the mean time, I do plan on improving the performance of my computer (bigger hard drive, more RAM...) Thanks again!!!!

Remember that system processes eat up some of that memory as well. It's not like all the memory is 100% dedicated to the program you're using. Have you tried shutting down as many of the processes as you possible can? Also, turn off anything that might be running in the background (ex. - antivirus program).

Yes, I actually ended up having to uninstall some programs as well in order to gain some extra space. Still, it didn't work, so the geometry will have to be remodeled. I did learn though some really good tips from you, so thanks a lot for that ----- I can definitely apply them when working on the following projects!!!!!