Version Problems

rcraigt1961

I recently loaded AutoCad 2011. I always have my save option set to early versions so that other users in my group can use the file. Since I loaded 2011, my peers cannot open any of my files? I am the only person using full version of AutoCad, all other users (about 20) use some version of AutoCad LT ranging from 2005 to 2010. The only ones who can open my files are the ones using AutoCad 2010LT. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Could be Object Enablers; are you using plain Acad or a vertical product?

What error message is being shown when the drawings will not not open?

I am using plain AutoCad, i'm not sure what error they are getting when trying to open the files, but i think they told me it had something about format in the message.

the exact message reads:

AutoCAD Alert

This DWG file cannot be opened because it was created with a more recent version of AutoCAD LT.

Download the DWG TrueConvert tool from Autodesk to translate to different versions of DWG files.

For more information on DWG TrueConvert click here

Follow the advice and see what happens. Something is not being translated correctly (or at all) when you back save to 2004 file format from 2011. Maybe TrueConvert will work better.

I have found trouble when doing a save as to earlier formats from 2010. Exporting the files is a better option but not perfect. TrueConvert is the best option but not very convenient.

I'm no expert, but make sure when you do your save as, it saves to the proper directory you want. The others might be accessing the files from the wrong place. Like where you have them housed. Do you save down each time? I've botched that one a time or two. Also double check that "files of type" is set to the release you want. This can be set as a default, but I always check it anyway.

yes i have it set as default to save to 2000/2000LT. i actually have emailed these files to coworkers. so it's not a directory issue. they just can't open the file.

yes i have it set as default to save to 2000/2000LT. i actually have emailed these files to coworkers. so it's not a directory issue. they just can't open the file.

Can you post a sample. Besides 2009LT, I have 2002LT.

[ATTACH]20227[/ATTACH] attached file to

Opened in 2002LT and 2009LT in a heartbeat.

No error message at all. Drawn by LGS. Inverter Power Diagram.

Only thing I can think of is, have the others you work with downloaded the free object enablers from AutoDesk? Although, it is a pretty simple drawing.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=2753223&linkID=9240618

Might be worth a try. Perhaps the others with more experience in this area can add to this.

I've no object enablers yet I was able to open it in full 2007.

Yes, it is a very simple drawing as far as the entities that it has been created with. I guess I was expecting parametrics, or free-form meshes, or some such 2010 / 2011 new features but nada.

I saved it down to 2000 file format and attached it.

BTW...let me commend you on a couple of things. Your use of layers, locked viewports, no-print viewports layer, and clarity make your drawing a breath of fresh air compared to others I have seen recently. No unreferenced objects and no errors either (I ran Purge and Audit). Thank you!

AT&T_Inverter [2000].dwg

yes it was just quick simple drawing i put together for a proposal. i will pass this link along and see if they download enablers if that will solve it, thx

Personally I do not think it has anything to do with object enablers.

I agree now. Especially since he did the drawing himself in plain old autocad. I run into trouble sometimes when I get files from the outside done with arch desktop and such. That's when my enablers work out. This drawing looks too simple.

I also dont think that object enablers are the answer here.

Thoughts that come to mind-

Are your co-workers on LT up to date with the latest service packs for their version?

It is still only May 2010 so this may be a glitch in AutoCAD 2011 (Remember the 2007 copy/paste problem that we still get questions about).