Newbie needs help making slot in cylinder

Srhenson

Hello All, new member here as well as with Inventor.

I have searched the interent over and am struggling with this challenge. I have read and learned how to make most of my other parts, but this one is kickin my butt.

I am working on a project and I need a cylinder (pipe actually) drawn that is 40" long, 1" OD with a wall thickness of 1/8" and a slot that goes thru both sides (180 degrees apart). The slot is 1/4" wide and needs to be 6 1/4" long. The slot should start 3/4" from the end of the pipe or cylinder.

I would appreciate any help or guidance in my problem.

Hi. I don't have my Inventor system running currently, but I'll try and word it. It shouldn't be that difficult.

If your pipe was created from a sketch on an origin plane constrained centrally to the origin point, then create a sketch on one of the either two origin planes and draw your slot profile which you wish to cut out from the pipe. Your slot should be difined with two dimensions - the 1/4" and the 6 1/4", and the another dimensions defining the position of the slot - which is 3/4" from the end. With these three dimensions, your sketch should be fully constrained. If its not, you need to use other constrains such as tangent, parallel, conincident, etc, etc.

Go to extrude, select remove material, select central both ways, and select through all, and it should work.

Hope that helps and wasn't too badly worded.

Regards, David

OK, I'll study on that David. I am alittle slow at Inventor. So far all can really do is to draw a pipe in my dimensions. I will work on trying to get the second plane and then go from there. Thanks

Study hard and you should be fine :) Any questions, ask away - others here are very very experinced. I'll attach a file when I get a chance.

FYI, you shouldn't need to create a second plane ...

OK, I need a little push. I can draw a circle, dimention it, extrude it to my correct lenght and then shell it to create my pipe. I am assuming that I did the following like David asked me to do......"pipe was created from a sketch on an origin plane constrained centrally to the origin point".

How do I "create a sketch on one of the either two origin planes and draw your slot profile which you wish to cut out from the pipe".

Attached for your reference in 2009 version. My dimensions are just there to indicate what you should have ... I'm using metric rather than imperial.

But that's the simplest way to construct what you're after. Of course, it depends on design intent, but that's a start.

Hope that helps.

JD'S tutorial is very very very good. I learned a lot from it myself.

Best, David

main_shaft_DL.zip

Thanks David, your example helped alot.

I was able to examine your drawing and created my own except for the slot. I am struggling with how to make the slot. I am able to make a hole the goes thru my pipe. I made 2 holes did but cant seem to get how to delete the material from hole to hole. Thanks again, all of the help here has been great.

I made 2 holes did but cant seem to get how to delete the material from hole to hole.

Zip and attach what you have completed so far. I will post screen captures to walk you through the process.

Here is what I have so far. Along with not knowing how to cut the slot, I also didnt know how to dimension the hole apart or from the end of the pipe.

Thanks for your attention and help.

Main Shaft test.zip

Create a construction line from the projected origin to center the holes.

If you are doing a slot you might as well sketch a slot and then Extrude-Cut.

Make sure your sketches change color indicating fully constrained.

Slot.PNG

JD, am I getting closer? I had some struggling with your last couple of post, and the doc you sent was hard for me to understand. Most I felt like it was greek to me.........But I feel like I am progressing. Thanks for you patience.

Main_Shaft_rev3.zip

Sign up for a class. You are missing construction line from image I posted and missing tangent constraints between the lines and the circles. The lines should have vertical constraints. You have two .25 dimensions when only one is needed. Your sketch 2 has not changed color.

These topics are normally covered in the first 15 minutes of class.

Go back through that paper and Stop and any step you do not understand and ask for clarification here.

Tangents.jpg