Mac for Autocad?

MisterJingles

Hi all

Ive gone through a few threads which skim the surface of the topic of using an Apple Mac to run Autocad but have not managed to find conclusive opinions on the issue aside from the expensive start up cost.

If I were able to get a Mac at a good price would that solve that issue or are there other costs I am overlooking?

How functional is it with Autocad? I run 2011 LT.

Excuse my ignorance, I know very little about Mac and am just enquiring whether or not I should pursue this machine or rather look for a Notebook.

Regards

Rob

Ok seems it will also be slow. Hmmm my pet hate.

Nevermind, I think Ive convinced myself not to go for it. I cant come up with any substantial positives.

Sorry to start up a useless thread mods :oops:

Well since you will have to either use something like VMWare or Bootcamp what do you really gain with going with a Mac? Not a useless thread but I want to know why someone would want to switch? I use both and I can tell you for a fact that macs have issues just like any other computer. If they were problem free there would not be a "Genius Bar" in the Mac stores ;) OSX is very pretty, I'll give it that but other than that it's no real usage advantage over WinXP or 7. The only real advantage is security. The secret to a mac's security is obscurity. Why build malware for a system with a under 5% market share?

f700es - Understood. Hence I decided against it. I considered it as I had the opportunity to buy a Mac at a price well below market value. But after doing further homework I decided it would not be worth it.

Regards

Well if there is a mac only app you like to use or need then it might be worth a look. There are a few out there. I guess I look at the increase cost of the apple computer, the cost of VMware (if you don't use bootcamp) and the cost of a copy of windows. I do like the iWork office apps but not worth switching to me. There are no dumb questions.

Cheers :)

Sean

Thanks Sean, I appreciate that.

I was interested in finding out if it was worth using it for Cad but this particular model seems to be entry level anyways.

After she said 13.3" monitor I hung up :) (not quite)