Viewport problems

foxbyrd31

Viewports are giving me a problem today. :?

I am getting a drawing ready to plot so I put a copy of the title block into a paper space layout then clicked on the "viewport" icon and drew a viewport. I double clicked inside, zoomed to the correct scale, then realized that I needed to make the viewport large to incorporate the entire drawing. I clicked back to paper space and tried to 'grab' the corner of the viewport to stretch it. It will not stretch. I closed CAD and reopened and the problem persists, I opened another drawing and had no trouble 'grabing' the corners of the viewport in that drawing. I also have no trouble in model space, so I don't think it is a "pick first" issue. I am trying to figure out if this is a glitch in the file or if it is a setting I accidentally changed.

Another tidbit. I created the viewport on defpoints (which I know is hotly debated...) If I create a viewport on a different layer, I can grab and stretch. If it is defpoints that is my hang up, how do I create a layer that the stuff in the viewport prints but not the outline?

Thanks!

Layer 0 was indeed off. I am editing somebody else's drawing and since I don't usually draw on 0, have never had that problem before. Thanks for the help!

I find that it is easiest to create a layer just for my viewports and set it to not print. The viewports remain visible on screen. I stopped putting my viewports on the layer Defpoints a long time ago. I recommend you do too.

Viewports are giving me a problem today. :?

I am getting a drawing ready to plot so I put a copy of the title block into a paper space layout then clicked on the "viewport" icon and drew a viewport. I double clicked inside, zoomed to the correct scale, then realized that I needed to make the viewport large to incorporate the entire drawing. I clicked back to paper space and tried to 'grab' the corner of the viewport to stretch it. It will not stretch. I closed CAD and reopened and the problem persists, I opened another drawing and had no trouble 'grabing' the corners of the viewport in that drawing. I also have no trouble in model space, so I don't think it is a "pick first" issue. I am trying to figure out if this is a glitch in the file or if it is a setting I accidentally changed.

Another tidbit. I created the viewport on defpoints (which I know is hotly debated...) If I create a viewport on a different layer, I can grab and stretch. If it is defpoints that is my hang up, how do I create a layer that the stuff in the viewport prints but not the outline?

Thanks!

If you're refering to the box around the viewport, you can put that on a new layer, maybe called layout-frame, you don't need and set it not to plot in the layer mgr. I have done this in the past.

I find that it is easiest to create a layer just for my viewports and set it to not print. The viewports remain visible on screen. I stopped putting my viewports on the layer Defpoints a long time ago. I recommend you do too.

Ya beat me to it by 1 minute. Heh.

You're either going to have to learn to type faster or drink 10 cups of coffee to really get revved up.

That's OK, I could never keep up with your advice anyway. I'm no threat. I'm just glad yer around.:wink:

You underestimate your own capabilities and overestimate the extent of my knowledge. You're doing just fine. I'm equally glad you are around too. You help keep me on my toes. Thanks. :)