Loft Sections must all be Closed or Open (HELP)

Bobzy20

Hi I wonder if anybody can help me with this small problem I’m having.

As you can see I’m a new user to SolidWorks and currently working through some tutorials.

I’m trying to add a Loft Surface to this object but it seems the elliptical profile sketch (bottom) is open and I need to close it or the circular profile sketch (top) is closed and I need to open it!

Is there an easy way to open & close profile sketches?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Bobzy20

Bobzy, your your profiles selection box you have a lot of selections when there should only be 2. what are the other selections? It looks to me that you have a line in your profile that is not a construction line.

Hi Matt thanks for the reply.

The bottom profile sketch is currently split up into 4 sections (open) but I guess it should be just 1 complete profile (closed).

Is there a way to make it closed into one complete profile?

See attached zip file containing the drawing.

Thanks

Bobzy20

I didnt open the tutorial but i went ahead and drew something similar for you.

Make sure you go into the sketches and click on each segment to see the relations added. I drew two circles, added relations to them to fully define them. Then i drew horizontal lines and trimmed away what i didnt need of the circles.

Created a new plane, drew the circle making it concentric with the one from the first sketch.

When i drew my guides I made sure to apply the pierce relation and give each handle either a horizontale or vertical relation as well.

GaugePod.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I wonder if anybody can help me with this small question I have.

I’m new to SolidWorks and I’m currently doing this tutorial but I can’t workout/understand the tutorial.

It’s defiantly me but any help would be great.

As you can see from the illustration below I’ve drawn the basic part and saved it. I’ve now re-opened it (as I drew this a while ago) and then I try and follow what the tutorial says but I can’t make it work.

The tutorial says:

1. Click Isometric (Standard Views toolbar). (Done)
  2. Click 3D Sketch On Plane (Sketch toolbar) and in the PropertyManager: (I clicked on the Front Plane and selected 3D Sketch On Plane)
  3. Select Front for First Reference. (I can’t do this part as the PropertyManager window is clear.)

Thanks

Bobzy20

When you have the property manager tab open in the feature tree, the actual tree can be seen to the right if you expand the + sign. If you don't see this go into your Tools>Options. On the System Options tab go to FeatureManager. There is a check box that says "Use transparent flyout FeatureManager tree in parts/assemblies. This will allow the feature tree shown in the first image.

SWtutorialHelp.jpg

SWtutorialHelp2.jpg

I think I may understand your question. For your properties tab to display the planes, you need to be inside the 3d sketch. In your screen shot you are not editing your sketch. when you edit the sketch, is the properties tab still empty?

Thanks for your help but for some reason I just can't seem to complete this tutorial! I've tried a few times now and I always get stuck, anyway I’ve moved on now to the other tutorials.

I think the tutorials assume you know more than what you actually should do at this stage if you are a beginner.

Thanks again

Bobzy20

can you upload a zip of your current try so I can look at?

The main benefit of doing 3d sketches on plain is keeping several work planes and sketches inside one feature in the tree. You have to understand that you need to be inside a 3d sketch, then each 3d sketch plane you create will be within this 3d sketch. These planes are located on the Properties tab.

I think knowing this isnt really important, but understanding that using relations to locate sketches is very important. You cant use sketch lines as guide rails unless they are coincident. Also during the selection process, when your lines are consumed within one sketch like in the example, you may need to right click and use Selection Manager.

Hi shift1313 here is my part (zipped).

Bobzy20

What problem are you having? I downloaded file and was able to create loft. I added a 3dsketch to create the front guide curve.

Loft.jpg

Hi bhamze thanks for the reply.

I’m new to SW and have no idea what I’m doing!

I open the drawing and then it says I need to do the following but don’t know how to:

• Click 3D Sketch On Plane (Sketch toolbar) and in the PropertyManager:

a. Select Front for First Reference.

b. Select Coincident and then click

I can’t even select 3D Sketch On Plane as it doesn’t give me the option under Sketch.

Thanks

Bobzy20

Hi bhamze thanks for the reply.

I’m new to SW and have no idea what I’m doing!

I open the drawing and then it says I need to do the following but don’t know how to:

• Click 3D Sketch On Plane (Sketch toolbar) and in the PropertyManager:

a. Select Front for First Reference.

b. Select Coincident and then click

I can’t even select 3D Sketch On Plane as it doesn’t give me the option under Sketch.

Thanks

Bobzy20

You might need to add that tool (3D Sketch On Plane) to your sketch toolbar. If your not familiar on how to this..... in Solidworks, go to Solidworks help and type in command manager. If your still stuck let me know, I'll try to help out. You can also create a 3D Sketch On Plane by going to insert (top menu next to file/edit/view) then selecting that option. In order to create a 3d sketch on plane you first need to select a plane (top/front/right) before option can become available. If you dont the option will be ghost out and not selectable.

When adding a new plane (3d or not) you need to select references in order for the software to create that plane. If no references are selected the software has no idea where to place plane and you will get error messages. In your case, when you create a new plane your first reference would be the front plane (you can select this in feature tree on your left) Under the first reference selection window you will see options for coincident,perpendicular,parallel,distance,etc.....Again in your case, select coincident, this will create a plane that sits on the front plane. Think of it as making a copy of the front plane.

Good info bill.

bobzy, i havent opened your file yet but as bill said you need a reference. 3d sketch on plane is a little different. From your sketch menu you can select 2d sketch or 3d sketch at any time, but for a 3d sketch on plane you need to select your reference first. A 2d sketch will allow you to select the reference after. You can either select a plane, then select the drop down box for creating a new sketch. Or you can select a plane, then right click and you should see 3d sketch on plane.

3dsketch.JPG

• 2 weeks later...