AutoCAD to model my home

insomniac

Hello,

I'm currently studying at University so I have access to all of the AutoCAD software at the moment. In time I will be using CAD software as part of my course but until then I would like to 'get my feet wet' with AutoCAD by using it to model my home.

I'm not sure if 'model my home' is the correct term but hopefully if I explain myself you'll be able to work out what I mean for yourself and correct me if neccessary.

I would like to (as accurately as I can with the tools I have available) measure my entire home and garden and recreate it on my computer. When I do this in my mind I imagine creating something like scale 'blueprints' showing all of the detailed measurements I have taken and a 3D representation of those 'blueprints'.

Once this is done I would like to be able to take the completed digital version of my home and use that as a template to see how modifications to the home and garden would look.

I do not plan on using the CAD software as a tool to actually plan any real-world modifications, it is simply a 'hobby with purpose' the purpose being getting me used to CAD software.

My question is this - is there a version of AutoCAD that would be suited to this task?

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Ins.

TLDR: Can you recommend a version of AutoCAD to use to accurately recreate an existing building in 2D and 3D?

Do the terms plan and elevations have any meaning to you?

Showing a house in relationship to the land it sits upon is called a plot plan.

AutoCAD Architecture is pretty good. I would definately say use that if you can instead of the regular AutoCAD. If you are wanting to make elevations of your house along with floor plans there is a command that will project 2d elevations that all you will have to do is change the layers if you would like. I believe it is aecbldgelevationlineadd (havent used it in 3 years, sorry if im wrong). Just make sure you have your 3d model pretty much complete because everytime you make a change to the 3d model you will have to run the command again to show the changes such as if you move a window or door or add a level.

So you're looking at building a 3D model of your home or just drafting the 2D floorplan or both?

I think Autocad Architecture would be best.

(quote edited to remove link - forum restriction)

Thanks for the recommendation, I'd like to use actual measurements of my home to - if possible - create a digital 3D model and an accurate 2D floorplan.

Do the terms plan and elevations have any meaning to you?

Showing a house in relationship to the land it sits upon is called a plot plan.

Yes and yes and thank you!

So summing up what I'd like to do, I am trying to create a plot plan of my home and a 3D model based on the plot plan.

I'll go ahead and check out Autocad architecture to see if it has this feature.

Thank you both.

AutoCAD Architecture is pretty good. I would definately say use that if you can instead of the regular AutoCAD. If you are wanting to make elevations of your house along with floor plans there is a command that will project 2d elevations that all you will have to do is change the layers if you would like. I believe it is aecbldgelevationlineadd (havent used it in 3 years, sorry if im wrong). Just make sure you have your 3d model pretty much complete because everytime you make a change to the 3d model you will have to run the command again to show the changes such as if you move a window or door or add a level.

Thank you, I'll get a copy of AutoCad Architecture shortly and start going through the various online tutorials. The command you mention sounds ideal so I'll keep it in mind and once I'm past the very basics I'll look it up.

Thanks again everyone.