Help with rendering

cso

I am trying to learn rendering and it is not working. I drew a simple 3d solid.

This is what I did next:

Command: materials

(I chose masonry )

Select objects: (I selected the object)

Command: render

After I hit render it did render it in another window with all the image information and rendering statistics, BUT it is not applying the material I am choosing. It just looks like a realistic visual style (white).

I have tried choosing other materials and the same thing happens.

Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong? Thanks

You need to apply the material to the object somehow, simplest way is to drag and drop the material preview straight onto the object, you may also need to map the object so that the material sits right on it. switch 'visual style' to 'realistic' to see how it's sitting without having to run a render. I use 'materialattach' to apply materials by layer, a bit of a neater and faster way.

Try googling your problem, I'm sure there'll be some good tutorials out there to get you through the basics.

Good luck

You probably just need to adjust the scaling and/or tiling of your texture. It's probably scaled so small that it just appears as a solid color in the rendering.

Thanks everyone. I kind of got it to work, but only after I chose the "Maps Global" and checked "Diffuse Map" section instead of the "Material Editor-Global". No matter what I chose on the Material Editor-Global, nothing happened. But when I changed it on the Diffuse Map section to say marble, it changed; even though I still had "wood unfinished" chosen on the Material Editor.

I think I need a good tutorial on rendering from the beginning. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have followed many of the tutorials on MYCADSITE and they are really good, but I followed the basic one for rendering, as I first described, and it did not work.

Maybe my scaling or tiling was off as suggested and it really was working. I really think it must be something like that because I just have a cube that I am trying to practice on and it seems like it should be pretty straightforward.

Also, when I first tried it just using the "Material Editor-Global", nothing changed in the "Material Offset and Preview" box (whereas it did when I used the Maps Global section).

Those tutorials at MYCADSITE are pretty good. If you followed those then you should have been ok. Maybe you should go back and read through them again. Maybe you missed something? :unsure: