Suggested changes to this forum

CADTutor

The Blog/Wiki options mentioned in previous posts may offer interesting possibilities. Certainly, the standard programming tutorial, as found here and at Afralisp.net, will always be helpful for the newer recruits. Allowing for more ambitious, long-term projects could be beneficial to intermediate programmers. The blog/wiki format may more coherently document the steps and/or hazards of complex projects.

Those postings may later serve as tutorials on Collaborative Effort, Version Control, Object Oriented Programming for future readers. I currently have great interest in this area.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Buzzard

• CADTutor

• Lee Mac

• Se7en

Example of an open Code Archive.

Mr. AutoLISP: Hi! Please try my latest Mutli Polyline Trim Lisp.

Mr. Codeseeker: I just tried your code and it trims only one polyline. What gives?

Mr. AutoLISP: Well, I have'nt learned that just yet, But when someone writes it for me You can be sure I will repost. But for now it better than nothing.

I strive for the easiest and best way to do things. I do not post/say anything with out thinking it through first; I vote open.

I know its been done that way up till now. The whole idea was to create 4 more forums and knowing that the current method is tedious i recommended an alternate instead of taking the current process and multiplying it by 4; hence my comment to CADTutor about it being very ambitious.

If you want it closed then vote that way.

If you want to spend your time trying to debate the open arguments because its different, then do so...i dont care.

I strive for the easiest and best way to do things. I do not post/say anything with out thinking it through first; I vote open.

I know its been done that way up till now. The whole idea was to create 4 more forums and knowing that the current method is tedious i recommended an alternate instead of taking the current process and multiplying it by 4; hence my comment to CADTutor about it being very ambitious.

If you want it closed then vote that way.

If you want to spend your time trying to debate the open arguments because its different, then do so...i dont care.

I know what was proposed.

This is what was proposed by David

My initial thought is to create a new section of the forum entitled "AutoCAD Customization" and have perhaps 4 forums within that section:

1. The CUI, Custom Hatches/Linetrypes etc.

2. AutoLISP, Visual LISP and DCL

3. VBA, .NET, Object ARX etc. (all programming other than LISP)

4. Application Archive (new name for the AutoLISP Archive to include for other APIs)

To clarify the type of forum.

1. The CUI, Custom Hatches/Linetrypes etc. - Open Forum

2. AutoLISP, Visual LISP and DCL - Open Forum

3. VBA, .NET, Object ARX etc. (all programming other than LISP) - Open Forum

4. The Application Archive is to include for other APIs - Remains a Closed Forum as it is now.

Nothing has changed except for the additions of new forums for the other APIs.

You have been saying and I quoted you to Open the Archive all along. And thats my argument. Nothing good will come from this. There are more bad reasons then good reasons.

I do not understand your reasoning here.

Then why bother having an Archive. The regular lisp forum should suit everyones needs.

Look, When a code goes into the Archive, It should have a link to take you back to the original thread for comments good or bad. To give free access to all is to also give free access to spammers and hackers. Give free access to all and you are playing with fire.

I don't wish to change the traditions here; Just looking for a .net only place to learn as well as contribute to this development platform. Link backs are fine by me maybe I confused the situation not sure.

I don't wish to change the traditions here; Just looking for a .net only place to learn as well as contribute to this development platform. Link backs are fine by me maybe I confused the situation not sure.

RMS

I do not see a problem with adding forums for other APIs. The problem I see is with the Archive to store finished codes. Up to now that it has always been a closed forum for downloading these codes. Some wish to have this forum open. Codes posted in this forum should have a header by the Author along with instruction on how to operate the code. The code should be somewhat error free. To contact the Author, There should be a link to the original thread that the code was created. Some have requested to open this forum for posting codes and commenting. When this is done quality goes down and creates double posting. It also allows access then to spammers & hackers as well. I feel and I think some other do that this forum should remain as is. To post code there requires permission from a Moderator.

Back to the other forums now. I think this is a great idea. To have forums for VBA, .NET and C+ is a great way to invite others to get more involved when they see more experienced programmer in these areas getting more involved. That part of this new idea I feel is a long time waiting and about time its going to happen.

Please do not feel you are causing a problem. You have a great solution to the problem.

Thanks

RMS

I do not see a problem with adding forums for other APIs. The problem I see is with the Archive to store finished codes. Up to now that it has always been a closed forum for downloading these codes. Some wish to have this forum open. Codes posted in this forum should have a header by the Author along with instruction on how to operate the code. The code should be somewhat error free. To contact the Author, There should be a link to the original thread that the code was created. Some have requested to open this forum for posting codes and commenting. When this is done quality goes down and creates double posting. It also allows access then to spammers & hackers as well. I feel and I think some other do that this forum should remain as is. To post code there requires permission from a Moderator.

Back to the other forums now. I think this is a great idea. To have forums for VBA, .NET and C+ is a great way to invite others to get more involved when they see more experienced programmer in these areas getting more involved. That part of this new idea I feel is a long time waiting and about time its going to happen.

Please do not feel you are causing a problem. You have a great solution to the problem.

Thanks

Thanks for the explanation and I agree with you 100%. I know a bit about the work that goes into a forum so I do appreciate that this is being considered!!

Thanks for the constructive debate guys. It looks like we are close to a consensus (which is not a million miles away from my original proposal :)). In which case, I will implement this shortly. It's worth bearing in mind that this isn't a one-way street. If we discover that it's not working, we can modify it to suit.

OK, the new arrangement of forums is now in place. I've gone through the forum back to the beginning of May and moved any relevant threads to their respective new homes. At some point when I've got a few spare hours (days!), I'll go back and do some more but this should suffice to get the balls rolling.

Let's see how this works for now. We can always modify things later if needed.

There's no doubt that the LISP forum needed splitting up, it's now the biggest forum on the board - in fact, I'm now wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to subdivide that somehow (AutoLISP beginners and AutoLISP advanced or AutoLISP and Visual LISP?) - anyway, we can consider that at leisure.

• 1 month later...
maybe have a beginner autolisp area

That would be a mess. Why would you separate the LISP forum. It's one thing to have an archive section (which I can't understand why it's limited to 'power' users), but not two separate sections for the learning/discussion portion of LISP.

That would be a mess. Why would you separate the LISP forum. It's one thing to have an archive section (which I can't understand why it's limited to 'power' users), but not two separate sections for the learning/discussion portion of LISP.

I agree Alan, Also where would you draw the line as to what is beginner and advanced? To a beginner everything lisp would seem advanced and for them to get help would require somone who is advanced. It just seem like overkill with separate forums.

I agree Alan, Also where would you draw the line as to what is beginner and advanced? To a beginner everything lisp would seem advanced and for them to get help would require somone who is advanced. It just seem like overkill with separate forums.

I like the idea of separate sections for working out issues & asking questions and a section for showing of something. And in this 'show off' section, it should not be limited to a 'power user'. The simplest of routines, written by the noobiest of noobs might bee just what someone else is looking for. Plus, if they have a place to post their goodies then we can comment on them. I know this may seem silly since we have a separate section, but what if a person is just proud of getting something to work and isn't thinking about the idea that they might need improvements. Any accomplishment, big or small, noob or expert is still an accomplishment. As a result of locking the archive, people just post "hey, check out this awesome [blank] routine I just wrote" in the Autolisp section and nothing is ever posted in the archive section.

I like the idea of separate sections for working out issues & asking questions and a section for showing of something. And in this 'show off' section, it should not be limited to a 'power user'. The simplest of routines, written by the noobiest of noobs might bee just what someone else is looking for. Plus, if they have a place to post their goodies then we can comment on them. I know this may seem silly since we have a separate section, but what if a person is just proud of getting something to work and isn't thinking about the idea that they might need improvements. Any accomplishment, big or small, noob or expert is still an accomplishment. As a result of locking the archive, people just post "hey, check out this awesome [blank] routine I just wrote" in the Autolisp section and nothing is ever posted in the archive section.

I not sure about that. Don't you think thats overdoing it a bit also? Many times discussions lead to posting examples and snippets anyway and examples are much clearer discussions all the same.

I not sure about that. Don't you think thats overdoing it a bit also? Many times discussions lead to posting examples and snippets anyway and examples are much clearer discussions all the same.
And that's fine, but we aren't giving the non-elite user a chance to show off his code. Go look at theSwamp. There's a section for AutoLISP questioning, etc. and a section called "Show Your Stuff". In the Show section, anyone can post something they're proud of or found, and a discussion ensues from there, but EVERYONE gets a chance to show off something they are proud of, not just the 'elite'.

I just don't like the idea of someone feeling inferior because they haven't been coding as long or don't have as high of a post count. If a person writes something that's useful to them, then it's good to someone and might be useful to another. If we stifle this kind of attitude by saying that the 'archive' should only be there for select individuals and/or routines, then we severely limit the amount of shared data.

Think about this, each person who posts something in the archive section also creates a thread in the autolisp section to discuss the routine. Two threads for one topic just seems a little silly.

And that's fine, but we aren't giving the non-elite user a chance to show off his code. Go look at theSwamp. There's a section for AutoLISP questioning, etc. and a section called "Show Your Stuff". In the Show section, anyone can post something they're proud of or found, and a discussion ensues from there, but EVERYONE gets a chance to show off something they are proud of, not just the 'elite'.

I just don't like the idea of someone feeling inferior because they haven't been coding as long or don't have as high of a post count. If a person writes something that's useful to them, then it's good to someone and might be useful to another. If we stifle this kind of attitude by saying that the 'archive' should only be there for select individuals and/or routines, then we severely limit the amount of shared data.

Think about this, each person who posts something in the archive section also creates a thread in the autolisp section to discuss the routine. Two threads for one topic just seems a little silly.

Thats not what I meant, I was only mentioning the separation of discussion from examples which I believe are the same thing, But since you brought this up about anyone posting their codes, They can of course post them here. If a special place needs to be setup up for this it all good I suppose.

Thats not what I meant, I was only mentioning the separation of discussion from examples which I believe are the same thing, But since you brought this up about anyone posting their codes, They can of course post them here. If a special place needs to be setup up for this it all good I suppose.
Oh no, I wasn't implying people shouldn't post examples within a thread; linking would just become confusing and convoluted.

We don't need a third section for posting; two is enough.

Oh no, I wasn't implying people shouldn't post examples within a thread; linking would just become confusing and convoluted.

We don't need a third section for posting; two is enough.

I feel anyone should be proud of something they accomplish in lisp, But of course this always opens the doors for critics who will only knock the wind out of ones sails. I do not have a problem with it, But I can see some moments of this getting ugly because of a bad approach of correcting ones efforts in a rough way. With all good intentions on ones part maynot look the same on the other persons end which leaves me to think why bother adding a forum for this when it happens from time to time in this forum. It does not make alot sense to me.