'measurement line' (not a dimension)

davesec

hi! i don't know what this wuold be called in autocad, and therefore have no terms to search..

let's say i have a straight line (line 1) on layer 1

then i create a new layer. on this new layer, i want to make a second line, perpendicular to the first... let's say 100 units from the end of the first line.

so what i'm doing right now is going to the end of the first line, drawing a second line that's 100 units long, and then drawing my second line.

is there a way to go 100 units from the end without drawing an actual line?

hope i'm explaining this well. thanks!

Not unless you use a Lisp routine to accomplish this. Why not just draw a circle with a 100 unit radius and start your new line at the quadrant snap of the circle then erase your circle?

Hi,

to do this, you going to use Polar Tracking (F10) and Object Snap Tracking (F11)

when you start your second line approch to the end of the first line without click on, you will see the small cross, move your cursor till you see tracking line (dashed line) and give the dimension.

The first time, it isn't easy tool

Bye

Pascal

Hi,

to do this, you going to use Polar Tracking (F10) and Object Snap Tracking (F11)

when you start your second line approch to the end of the first line without click on, you will see the small cross, move your cursor till you see tracking line (dashed line) and give the dimension.

The first time, it isn't easy tool

Bye

Pascal

Proof and old dog can learn new tricks. I use Polar tracking and Object snap tracking for point filters but never like this. Works like a charm. Thanks for the input Pascal.

Thanks Calvin, I'm dinosaur for young generation to.

I was afraid that my explanations are not clear because my English is as me, a little made rusty.

Have a good day

Pascal

I understood it clearly because I use these tools quite often so I am familiar with what you were explaining. Someone with no experience with them at all might see it differently. It does take a bit of practice to get use to it.

Now I'm a realative newbie at AutoCad so the above with drawing circles and lisps and whatnot may have more merit then my method but what I do is enter the "Line" command, then immediately enter the "snap from" command. Then with "polar on" I just take the curser in the direction I want to go and enter the distance. The line then starts from that point. Easy.

Doug

Now I'm a realative newbie at AutoCad so the above with drawing circles and lisps and whatnot may have more merit then my method but what I do is enter the "Line" command, then immediately enter the "snap from" command. Then with "polar on" I just take the curser in the direction I want to go and enter the distance. The line then starts from that point. Easy.

Doug

This is basically the same as the method described by rvpas. The only difference is with Polar Snap Tracking turned on it acts as the snap From filter and eliminates a step or two.

This is pretty cool. Could you do the same by just offsetting the first line 100 units also?

Glenn

gsksun4, what you describe is certainly a viable solution which is similar to mine by using a circle to find the point but the OP's point is to eliminate that step and find the point to start from by using filters although he didn't realize that was what he was asking for.