polyline madness

I have a polyline composed of about 372 sections that makes up a complex curve that is being cut by a waterjet cutter. Some of the lines are about .25 mm near the sharper bends, and some are as long as 1 mm near the wider curves. (Someone not me spent a lot of time on this generating this profile...)

I would like to break it up into smaller increments, but have each point of the pline be on an increment in the y direction, for example, every .25 mm, and have every point that does not lie on this increment become merged. I need to do this because I know how fast the material is moving in the y direction and the cutter is limited to a certain path in the x-y plane so if the y values come at a constant rate I can know how fast the cutter is moving at any point in time.

I tried offsetting a horizontal line every .25 mm and just making 700ish lines and trimming it to the pline but I don’t' see any way to (easily) place a pline on a bunch of end points. I don't think I can break it at multiple points at the same time, and even if I did it would automatically leave a gap between each break...

Is there anything else I can do that I overlooked, or am I doomed to have to click on hundreds of points manually?

FYI, I found another way around the problem. Instead of descritizing the y domain I created moving datum on an excel spreadsheet and measured the angle of displacement relative to the direction of travel and used some fun trig identities... :shock:

If anyone happens to figure out a solution it could still come in handy later:)