3d rotating a 2d drawing

chiarodesign

newbie here... sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

i've spent the better part of the morning searching thru posts and cannot find an answer to this one so i'm hoping some one can help...

i have a drawing (site plan) that was imported from revit that is only visible in elevation view. i want to rotate it so that it's in plan view so that i can then flatten it into a 2d drawing.

my cad experience is limited to 2d architectural design & so pls go slow with the 3d terms! thx

You're in the right forum.

Two important things you'll need to do:

1) Have your UCS icon ON so you know what plane are working with.

2) Even though you are working with a 2d drawing you'll want to view it from a 3d vantage point so try this command sequence: VPOINT then enter 1, -.875, .625

Now you can see what plane the drawing is in and begin the rotation that you'll need to get it where you want it. You could try the 3dalign option (which might get confusing) or you can manipulate the UCS and do the rotation manually. If you do the rotation manually enter the UCS command then either the x, y, or z option, once you select an axis it will want you to enter a rotation angle - rotate in 90 degree increments.

Do not forget to set your UCS back to world when you are done.

This is the foundation of what you need, if you have any trouble going from here continue asking.

Thanks so much Patrick! I couldn't seem to manipulate the UCS... well it moved but my drawing remained incorrect. I ended up achieving my goal using the 3dalign command, though it was a lucky guess of selecting base points in a random order. I don't know if I could repeat it :P