how do i draw a bolt?

spiderdian

Hello Fedora. Welcome in the forum!

Since you use AutoCAD 2006 the sweep way doesn't work for you.

In the past I was often asked how to make threads for bolts. My answer used to be: don't draw real threads in AutoCAD. These days we should focus on our projects -not to waste the time drawing bolts. I think nobody expects to see real threads on screws when examines say a trimming tool.

If you really need threads use an approximation: use no raise for the thread (as Yedan did). Even if you extrude a circle along the helix your thread will be imperfect: the section of the thread is formed by arcs, not lines.

It could be done with Lisp routines but as I mention: it doesn't worth the effort. And depending of the precision you use you can end up with huge files.

So until now the only way for making perfect threaded bolts is to use AutoCAD 2007 (or newer). Maybe someone will try to create bolts in AutoCAD 2007 or 2008 and export the result in 2004 dwg format. AutoCAD 2006 should be able to open it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• fuccaro

• fedora

• Mr T

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Yedan,

How did you get that nice filleting/chamfering on the edges?

I am only able to fillet every edge.

Cheers

if you do not need an accurate thread then look for my explianation on how i made a NUT using Donuts, it gives an accurate looking spiral thread but the thread shape is wrong, instead of the threads being triangular in shape they are circular but when used it is quite hard to tell the differance and so looks ok aslong as all you require is a representation of a thread and your not needing the accurate thread shape.

yedan_bolt2.jpg

this is the final nut, if you want to know more look for my post,

The 30 degree chamfer is according to the Romanian standards. I didn't check with international standards -but I am almost sure that is the same chamfer.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Guys, new to the forum and also to autocad. I thought I would just post to say thanks to whatispunk for his tutorial on making a bolt. I am using Autocad 2002 and this is my first model. I am reasonably happy, but it took a couple of days to get it right. The rendering still needs work though :D

astroman_bolt2.jpg

Nice work, looks like a PEM stud!

Astroman's bolt looks good too!

Like StykFacE said, "A tutorial would be nice."

I don't have the need for 3D so I take the easy way out of bolt drawings.

Don't require the detail because I'm only drawing pipe, fittings, bolted flanges, plan and elevation views. Been at it 40+ years, almost time to retire.

Take a peek-a-boo at the two *.dwg files attached.

Although I use '05 and '07, I always save to AutoCAD 2000, mostly by request.

3-8-Bolt.dwg

8-Bfy.dwg

Hello frnds..

I am new to Autocad and this forum..

I dont understand how to extrude a circle of radius 1 along the path..

pls pls help me

Finally, you will need to extrude a circle of radius 1 along the path of the spiral. Then subtract the spiral solid from the shaft cylinder solid. Tada! You have a threaded cyclinder!

Welcome in the forum, Aquafire!

Draw the circle and the path. For a bolt you should use a helix but for practicing you could use an ARC or a PLINE placed on a perpendicular plane

If you use a 2D shape as path, it is important to have it in a different plane. So draw a small circle, use the UCS command to rotate the UCS around (say) OX with 90deg and draw an arc to be used as path.

Start the EXTRUDE command, select the circle and AutoCAd will ask you for the height of extrusion. Enter P (meaning path), press Enter and click the arc or the pline I mentioned before. It should work.

Once you worked it out, try it with a helix path.

Happy modelling!

• 2 weeks later...