Does anyone know how to do this

Hopinc

Matt,

I don't realy think this works, but I have attached herewith a screen shot in an attempt to convey just how many parts are involved in a small space.

You will need to look carefully but some of the "witness lines" on the left hand side give you a clue. What looks to be a solid mass just below left hand centre is actually about 15 seperate parts.

Anyway, if nothing else it's a clear indication of why I want to do what I want to do.

Dave

BTW- I think that the ridiculously small limit of a 250K file size on this forum is not really big enough for a CAD site. Anyone else agree?

inside.png

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hopinc

• JD Mather

• shift1313

• Chriske

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First of all - you have to really want to do this. Really want to do it in Inventor. Not sure if one of the new Autodesk visualization products would be easier.

But here goes...

Imagine you have real parts in an assembly in front of you.

Create your cut at the assembly level (you might what to create a View Rep/LOD).

Frequently for an assembly like your engine there are round parts that you don't want to cut (pins or crank, something like that). Expand the cut in the browser and right mouse button on the components not to cut and select Remove Participant. (see attached)

Remove Participant.png

Start a new part in the assembly. I will call this part Section Dummy.

Edit the dummy part in the context of the assembly.

Copy Object faces from the assembly to be used for your colors.

(now it would be nice to simply change the color properties of these surfaces/composits - but they will bleed even if set to Translucent off)

Thicken the surfaces to solids by a nominal amount. Might be easiest to Combine and control Properties in the Solids folder. There used to be a Painter add-in here http://www.mcadforums.com that would make this all easier, but not sure it has been updated for 2011.

Turn off the visibility of the surface/composites. Return to assembly level.

The "solution" is associative. Might take a bit more work if you want to animate rather than a still render.

In the attached open each ipt file and pull down the EOP. Save the files and then open the iam

cross-sec.zip

Assembly1.zip

Inventor doesn't allow you to change face properties at assembly level.

Oh yes JD Inventor does allow it...

In the assembly 'Edit' the part from which you want a face te be changed. select that face (rightclick) and choose properties --> replace color.

Hope it helps.

Chris

BTW- I think that the ridiculously small limit of a 250K file size on this forum is not really big enough for a CAD site. Anyone else agree?

I know 'of topic' sorry....

If there would be no limit, some people would post ridiculously large images. Forums would not be workable anymore. There are still lots of people with slow connections. For those people it would be even impossible to visit forums.

I run a forum to, the limit for images is even smaller than 250k.

I always advice people to put a extra link to a large image, so if needed people can download that larger images.

On internet sites also I do not understand why people want to put very large images and movies on their site. It slows down the system...!

The same goes for large intros to...!(I always skip, I hate them)

Chris

Oh yes JD Inventor does allow it...

In the assembly 'Edit' the part from which you want a face te be changed. select that face (rightclick) and choose properties --> replace color.

Chris

Can you post a dataset that exhibits the behavior you describe? (Note: This is a trick question - you cannot cut a part at the assembly level and have that cut appear at the part level, therefore when you Edit the part the cut will not be there - no cut face to change the property.) I have spent more than a few minutes analyzing this problem. No easy way that I have found directly in Inventor. Test your solution and attach the files here.

If there would be no limit, some people would post ridiculously large images.

No one was commenting on the size of image files.

Leave the image file size as is.

The comment was on zipped CAD files. 250k is too small.

I could post urls of a couple of other Inventor help forums that allow 1.5Meg and 10Meg attachments.

Bump it to at least 500k, or why not 1Meg and see what happens - if it is abused then nock back down.

Ah! - I get the idea.

Before I tried it I thought it would be a bit easier.

At least you don't have to cut each individual part at part level and still have everything lined up at assembly level.

This might be an automated solution, but I haven't used this software -

http://store.autodesk.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=adsk&Locale=en_US&Env=BASE&productID=185132300

maybe Mark has used it and can comment.

And of course, it isn't free....

Oops..!

Indeed the cut face cannot be changed in an ass.

I thought the question was to color any face... silly me...!...foreheadslap.gif

I should have read the post better...

Chris

Hi J.D.

I have both Showcase and Publisher and although I have not much experience with either program I have used Publisher to good effect. I can see no way to achieve this coloured assembly cross-section with either program. Someone please correct me if I am wrong?

Dave

Hi guys,

I finished the coloured cross-section of my Bentley B.R.2 rotary engine model and posted it on my web site last night. I am pleased with the results as the work achieved the definition between the adjacent parts that I was seeking.

If you would like to view the completed image please go to:

http://www.mdltd.org/joomla/index.php/serious-designs-just-for-fun

Thanks again J.D., your help is much appreciated.

Regards all.

Dave

Yes, there is a lot of work in one of these. I guess I just like challenges and complex machinery :).

Thanks for your appreciation.

Dave