how to perminently resolve links

gargoyle27

Ok, so I have made a large assembly of parts. After not moving any files anywhere, or doing anything funny, I open the assembly and it says it has unresolved links. It directs me to the folder that the part i'm looking for is actually in, so why doesn't it find it? And when I say what file to use, then save it, I still have to find the file again next time I try to open the assembly. How do I fix this?

It has happened as well that it wants to use a totally unrelated part thats no where near the correct folder or is even used in the same assembly, and similarly it still wants to use that random part next time I open the assembly.

silly question, but have you altered the original parts file names? I have seen people who try to rename a part, then make a sub assembly the part's previous name. This will cause an unresolved component, unless you REPLACE the part with the subassembly that is to replace it.

I have had similiar issues when resolving a missing link, in that even after resolving, the assembly will still use an incorrect part, or, the assembly will remain unresolved after saving. I have found that if I close everything and re open just the effected assembly, then DELETE the missing component completly, then replace/reconstrain the correct part in place, it will generally stay permanently after saving.

in your case I would double check file names. It sounds like something has happened and Inventor is unable to locate the exact file (name) its looking for. What changed right before this started happening?

yeah i know what you mean, but i know how to deal with renamed parts, a little annoying, but i can do it (a large part of my problems is that i am fixing the last drafts persons mistakes, ones of which is extremely ambiguous file names "shaft.ipt" etc.)

this situation happened for no reason as far as i can tell, and the part that i still don't understand is that it already has the correct file name and folder, so all i have to do is click "open" and it works, and for this particular one, i have to click it like 20 times because so many links are unresolved, but i can literally just click open, no looking through folders or clicking the proper file

Can I stick my 5 cents in here to agree with you two guys - isn't it time this idiosyncracy of part renaming within the history tree is sorted by Autodesk.

I have never understood why the part file name did not update at the same time the name in the history tree was changed. I can see no valid reason for it not doing so, at the very least it should be offered as a user option.

Regards & best wishes.

Dave