Annotative Text/dimensions

bobsy852

Yesterday I discovered this "annotative" text style which as i understood it would alter the text heights in the layout for any text notes i put on the drawing in the model space?

So I set about adding my text notes and setting them all at size 200 like i normally would for a drawing which i will scale to 1:100 in the viewport. However I have now come to setting out my viewports in the layout and when i set the scale in each viewport, the text simply disappears! :( I guess it's either going stupidly big or stupidly small?

I'll have to go back to doing it the old way for this 1, it just sounds like a handy tool if I could get the hang of it? Just wondered what I've done wrong?

I dont know if it matters or not, but I usually draw my drawings in the model space at 1 unit = 1mm. So is it that I should have set the text height to 1? Instead of 200?

Or is there something else I havent understood in how it works?

Or is it just easier to make different text styles for different viewport scales/resize text for different scales?

Thanks everyone!

Assign/add a scale to the text (the same as the viewport's scale). This can be done in Properties or select the text and rt-clk

You may want to look into the variables Annoallvisible and Annoautoscale.

The text height for annotative text (as set up in the text Style editor) should be the intended plotted height (paper text height).

j1.JPG

Erm, ok. I set the Object scale of one of the pieces of text but in the properties as you've shown above, so I set it to 1:100 as it would be in the layout, but it keeps going back to 1:1?

See I usually set up the text height in the model to match the scale I want to in the layout, so for a Viewport (VP) at 1:100 i would give the text in the VP a height of 200.

If it was 1:200 i would set it at double as the scale was view would be half so the text would now be 400 height.

I was under the impression that this annotative text tool would do this automatically?? Without having to set the text heights differently for each bit of text or set up new text styles for different bits of text?

Sorry if you have tried to explain this, Im not 100% on following your guide Ipseifert.

Using my example of having 2 VP's in the layout, 1:100 and 1:200 and having drawn my drawing in the model at 1=1mm, how should my text style be set up if normally it would be 200 high in the model for the 1:100 VP? And 400 for the 1:200 etc?

Will do! i'll have to play around with it when i get home (no sound at work) i'll see if there are any to read at lunch as well! found 1 or 2 which might be useful! Thanks for the help though Ipseifert!

Right, well I've had a play around with it now! I can see how to plot at a certain height using the same piece of text on numerous view ports without having to change the text heght etc. My Only issue now is that it's really hard to see it in the model space? Because it's at 1:1 in the model space and my text has a height of 2 I can't see it in the model space, which makes it really difficult to align text etc. Or to even find if i wish to edit it! lol

Are there any ways to resolve this issue?

Infact once I give the text an annotative scale it disappears altogether from view! :oops:

It's not untill I use the highlight all in an area tool with the mouse and highlight it that it appears again! :huh:

Wait! Figured that out too! change the annotation scale in the Model? :D

AMAZING!! liking this tool now!

If you're in modelspace, there should be a list you can bring up on the bottom right hand of the screen, if you do that, then pick the scale you're working to that SHOULD show your text at the right size, providing you've set the text with the same scale as well

annotative.jpg

Thanks for that skipsophrenic! :)

It does get a bit annoying when you need the text for multiple sizes though and it shows up when you highlight it as every size possible!

Makes it a bit difficult to work with then, but at least i can see it! :)

Thanks for that skipsophrenic! :)

It does get a bit annoying when you need the text for multiple sizes though and it shows up when you highlight it as every size possible!

Makes it a bit difficult to work with then, but at least i can see it! :)

Change the SELECTIONANNODISPLAY variable to 0 and it will only display active Anno. scale.

Set SELECTIONANNODISPLAY to 0.

rant on>(why won't Autodesk use the same format for setvar names, IE:SELECTIONANNODISPLAY, ANNOALLVISIBLE, ANNOAUTOSCALE, ANNORESET, ANNOTATIVEDWG, ANNOUPDATE. Why have 5 that start with ANNO and one with Selection...? This makes it so much harder to find the related settings. If they all started with ANNO then you just type ANNO and start hitting Tab until you find the one you want.)>rant off

rant on>(why won't Autodesk use the same format for setvar names, IE:SELECTIONANNODISPLAY, ANNOALLVISIBLE, ANNOAUTOSCALE, ANNORESET, ANNOTATIVEDWG, ANNOUPDATE. Why have 5 that start with ANNO and one with Selection...? This makes it so much harder to find the related settings. If they all started with ANNO then you just type ANNO and start hitting Tab until you find the one you want.)>rant off

I totally agree with you. Too many cook in the kitchen.

Thanks for that! perfect! :D

And i can confirm at least 1 person read your rant!