MEP modify equipment object

bigN

Hi

I've just started learning the Autodesk MEP, and already get frustrated :)..... I have to design a vertical storage tank, but the library containes only the small ones. I need to modify the existent object (eg diameters, flanges diameter, height of the vessel) how do I do that?

Hi

I've just started learning the Autodesk MEP, and already get frustrated :)..... I have to design a vertical storage tank, but the library containes only the small ones. I need to modify the existent object (eg diameters, flanges diameter, height of the vessel) how do I do that?

You're going to need to learn how to create content. Best way to do it is using the Block based MvParts. Which version of MEP are you running? I run AutoCAD MEP 2010 and if you open the Help menu, click on the Contents tab, and look under AutoCAD MEP 2010 Help > AutoCAD MEP User's Guide > Customizing Catalog-Based Content > Working with Block-Based Parts > Block-Based Part Creation Overview then it will guide you to utilizing your own custom made parts. Once you get the hang of it you'll get much better and faster, and eventually you'll start organizing your own personal catalog of equipment.

Also check out here: http://www.geniusoftllc.com/mvparts/create.asp

You're going to need to learn how to create content. Best way to do it is using the Block based MvParts. Which version of MEP are you running? I run AutoCAD MEP 2010 and if you open the Help menu, click on the Contents tab, and look under AutoCAD MEP 2010 Help > AutoCAD MEP User's Guide > Customizing Catalog-Based Content > Working with Block-Based Parts > Block-Based Part Creation Overview then it will guide you to utilizing your own custom made parts. Once you get the hang of it you'll get much better and faster, and eventually you'll start organizing your own personal catalog of equipment.

I am running on AutoCAD MEP 2009.... I thought it would me more simple..... are there any other tutorial on this issue?

AutoCAD MEP 2009 works the same way. Unfortunately, there is not a simpler way of doing things, nor are there really any good tutorials out there. If you're needing a specific dimensionally accurate part then you're going to need to create it. The parts in the default catalog are just generic representations of equipment and do not follow any particular brand or manufacturer's specs. Even if Autodesk tried to follow manufacturers, design specs can and do change all the time so it wouldn't even be worth it. Hope this helps, even if it's somewhat of a letdown.

AutoCAD MEP 2009 works the same way. Unfortunately, there is not a simpler way of doing things, nor are there really any good tutorials out there. If you're needing a specific dimensionally accurate part then you're going to need to create it. The parts in the default catalog are just generic representations of equipment and do not follow any particular brand or manufacturer's specs. Even if Autodesk tried to follow manufacturers, design specs can and do change all the time so it wouldn't even be worth it. Hope this helps, even if it's somewhat of a letdown.

Hi, thanks for the suggestions..... and no you dont let me down :roll: .....

Not sure if this is the right topic but ....can you clarify what is the difference between MEP, Plant3D, or Revit MEP?

Well, i thought that creating a mvpart would be so easy as creating a dynamic block on autocad, but i was completely mistaken, it's gonna take some time until i understand all the steps to create them.... but ill get there, step by step... ill be following your comments to help me get there fast..

Well, i thought that creating a mvpart would be so easy as creating a dynamic block on autocad, but i was completely mistaken, it's gonna take some time until i understand all the steps to create them.... but ill get there, step by step... ill be following your comments to help me get there fast..

MVpart is tricky, did you tried the PLANT 3D, where I think you can change any of the existent parts dimensions making your one equipment very easiliy.