rotating an xref

corinne

I'm on AutoCad Lt 2007. I've got a survey that I'm inserting as an xref into a Landscape Concept. I needed the survey to be rotated so that north is 'up' and I've been successful in doing this in a past iteration of the drawing. My problem is that when I insert the revised xref it seems to be inserting the xref far away from my drawing and also at a smaller scale than it did before.

Does anyone know why this would be?

Why would you want to rotate the SURVEY??? We always adjust ou drawing to the survey so we get the corrrect Northings and eastings. No offense but i was wondering for the longest ime why ppl rotate the survey instead of their drawing.

As for your Scale factor. Insert the survey at 0,0,0 and scale it with the factor 12. Survey is probably drawn in a different unit.

You raise a good point....why would I want to rotate a survey. I'll just ask the engineer to refrain from aligning his/her drawing to a road and to send me a correct drawing.

Thanks.

Why would you want to rotate the SURVEY??? We always adjust ou drawing to the survey so we get the corrrect Northings and eastings. No offense but i was wondering for the longest ime why ppl rotate the survey instead of their drawing.

As for your Scale factor. Insert the survey at 0,0,0 and scale it with the factor 12. Survey is probably drawn in a different unit.

definitely agree with this one. I work for a company which mainly relies on Engg Surveys and one thing we always tell new draftsmen...

"dont touch the survey points" :lol:

a newcomer made this mistake, saved the drawing and did not back the original, and whats worse is the data on the theodolite was reset so our engineers had to go back to the mountains and do the survey again :D :D :D

I'll just ask the engineer to refrain from aligning his/her drawing to a road and to send me a correct drawing.

The surveyors drawing is correct. It is not aligned to a road or anything else. It is set to a specific coordinate system. When you rotate the survey, not only do you alter the coordinate system, but you make it extremely difficult to insert a new version of that survey if/when an updated one is provided.

You should never rotate a survey. Always align your drawing to the survey. If you need to have it rotated, you can rotate your view within a paper space viewport without affecting the physical entities in model space.

"dont touch the survey points" :lol:

a newcomer made this mistake, saved the drawing and did not back the original, and whats worse is the data on the theodolite was reset so our engineers had to go back to the mountains and do the survey again :D :D :D

A very good point. Never work off the original. Always make a copy to work from and save the original in a safe place.