physical memory

bjenk8100

Generally,

How much physical memory should one have to manage very complex and large drawings. I have 4GB and when I open a very large drawing with many many objects, hatches, etc the computer prompts "Running out of system memory".

Generally,

How much physical memory should one have to manage very complex and large drawings. I have 4GB and when I open a very large drawing with many many objects, hatches, etc the computer prompts "Running out of system memory".

Hi bjenk8100,

How big are the files?

The whole idea is, that the processor has to be very fast 2 load the ram and videocard.

Are you using a CAD video card or a game card. There are 4 types of videocards.

What operating system ? unfortunately 32 bit is limited to about 3Gb of adressable memory but 64 bit Windows 7 can go way beyond that. Check also paging space available on your hard drive. Probably crashing both.

I tried to create points drawings 2,000,000 + Autocad gives up just runs out of memory we have a better of doing it now so not a problem smaller point sets.

i beleive 32-bit will only allow the software to access 2 gb and windows will only display 3gb when 4gb is installed...

On a regular basis I access Acad files in the 200-500 MB range using only 256 on the board. Found that you need to stop automatically opening up certion softwares (especially WordPad) and thus free up memory.

Per M-S they do a check of your system each and every time you re-boot. Unless you are experiencing some false reporting information on the M-B then check for the automatic systems. Do a system report.

Wm.

• 2 weeks later...

the roof plan that lags and shuts acad down is 2800 kb. However, if i bring in some pdfs everything lags out and it is really hard to move the pdf around the page. Also, when i copy and paste objects it is kidna slow to load complicated ones. There is a problem somewhere. Here is my system info. Any recommendation of what to buy is great. Our company is pretty cool about buying stuff.

ACPIx86-BASED PC

NVIDIA QUADRO NVS 295

INTEL® CORE™ i5 CPU (750 @ 2.67 GHz ) x 4

Well that's part of your problem right there.

You should be using a 64-bit system with 64-bit software and increase your RAM to 8GB minimum (12 would be best).

The whole idea is, that the processor has to be very fast 2 load the ram and videocard.

Are you using a CAD video card or a game card. There are 4 types of videocards.

I wasn't aware of this? I ave a Nvidia GT220 at home, does this aid my AutoCAD 2010 in any way?

Oppie writes: The whole idea is, that the processor has to be very fast 2 load the ram and videocard.

Since the introduction of the dedicated AGP slot followed by the PCIe slot I was under the impression that the handling of the graphics display did not go through the CPU thus accounting for faster throughput.

acad 2010

this doesnt make sense to me. i have autocad 2009 on my laptop which is 5 years old and i never had a lag issue like this.

however, thanks for the advice i will talk to someone about a 64 bit os

someone also told me to get an external drive and save the drawing there and run it from there