how to constrain a holed flange to a shaft

gargoyle27

i really didn't want to start another thread on this, but i've searched and searched and couldn't find anything

so i often have to constrain a flange with holes in it to a shaft, but want to have the holes in it oriented a certain way, for example most of time time i want the line between one hole and the one next to it to be parallel to the ground, how to i do this?

since i don't know a better way i've just been mating with a distance to the center of the hole, and a nearby horzontal surface, works, but seems very crude to me

Attach typical files here. I suspect the usual technique will be Angle 0 constraint between mating part workplanes. (and or the assembly origin workplanes)

i just drew these in like two minutes, but this is one of the basic problems i've encountered (i'm sure there are more similar ones) the extrusion on the pipe should stick up between the holes (when looking down the length of the pipe)

i deal with these holed flanges fairly often and they can be tricky to constrain because the only surface you can use is either the flat sides (which rarely, if ever work because of their orientation) or the holes

pipe-flange example.zip

You created the parts with reference to the origin workplanes (the way it should be done) so use them to constrain. You don't have to have them visible to use. And they can't be deleted - so rock solid assembly technique.

Constrain Workplanes.jpg

sorry, i guess i assumed that you'd figure out how i meant it to be assembled, that was silly of me, i was going to add it, but decided not to for some reason

i want the flange to be on the end of the pipe, this is an example of a hydraulic cylinder, know what i mean?

i do know how to constrain to planes, but i was looking at a model i have and it appeared (tho it is possible i am wrong) to be constrained to a line between the center of two holes, which would be ideal, but actually it might turn out that i was confused for no reason, and just couldn't think of the most obvious solution

this is how i want to be able to constain it, but don't know how to do it this way, see attached picture

flange-pipe example.jpg

this is how i want to be able to constain it, but don't know how to do it this way, see attached picture

I would first use an insert constraint followed by a flush then angle if needed.

KC

I would first use an insert constraint followed by a flush then angle if needed.

KC

What is flush for? Insert and angle will do it. It should have been apparent from the first image I posted. The fact that I put it on wrong cylincer is irrelevant.

What is flush for? Insert and angle will do it. It should have been apparent from the first image I posted. The fact that I put it on wrong cylincer is irrelevant.

Your right JD. I was thinking of mate then flush but insert will do it together, however, there are times when mate flush would be better if you need an offset from the insert and need an edge from another part of the assembly or don't know an offset distance.

Hope that made sense...

KC

i thought that maybe the old drafter drew the flange with the axis going through the holes, but it's not, so how did he constrain it that way?

you'd be amazed what most of his models look like tho, most shafts he did were built up with a dozen or so extrusions instead of a single revolution (sometimes they even start out square) so they are hellish if anything needs to be changed (it's even hard to see what's going on most of the time), quite a few of his sketches there is no dimensions on and it's not constrained to the origin at all, i'm convinced he had no training in Inventor whatsoever, and he worked here for like 2 years!

edit: oh geez, then after looking a little closer i see that he made another sketch with a line going throught the center of those holes, which is how he constrained it, so yeah, sorry for wasting every ones time

Edited by gargoyle27

.... quite a few of his sketches there is no dimensions on and it's not constrained to the origin at all, i'm convinced he had no training in Inventor whatsoever, and he worked here for like 2 years!

In a situation like this you are putting your own reputation on the line if something goes wrong (incorrect dimensions released to manufacturing). I've always found that it is best (and faster) to bite the bullet and do the work over rather than fight trying to make someone else's garbage look pretty.

I agree completely, and I do so when I can. however, another thing he used to do was draw everything from scratch again if something needed to be changed. So not only is there numerous copies of parts with slight differences, but it was also known that he would waste time like this. So I have to be careful to not spend time drawing stuff again because I don't want to put myself in the same category and be considered incompetent like he was, know what I mean?