To pass one pipe with another

Siberian

Haven't used MEP since the 09 version, looking at the 2011 now. What I want to do is simply to pass a pipe with another pipe so that the bottom of one passes the top of the other. The closest I get is aligning the center of one with the bottom of the other. Anyone?

Haven't used MEP since the 09 version, looking at the 2011 now. What I want to do is simply to pass a pipe with another pipe so that the bottom of one passes the top of the other. The closest I get is aligning the center of one with the bottom of the other. Anyone?
I'm having a hard time knowing exactly what you're trying to accomplish, not that you haven't asked in detail but maybe just my lack of understanding. Are you simply wanting to move one pipe's elevation up above an existing pipe run so when they cross they do not interfere? Or are you trying to connect to pipes at different elevations so that it creates a transitional piece connecting the two pipes to go above an existing run?

If it's the first one, the best way in plan view that I move objects in the positive or negative Z direction (aka: the object's elevation) then I select the object, use the Move command, click any point in the drawing area, and use relative coordinates to move the object. So if I wanted to move it in the positive Z direction 12" then I would type @0,0,12" and it will move up.

If it's the other, then try toggling the OSNAPZ button/variable. If the OSNAPZ variable is on, then it will not connect to pipes at different elevations together, only snap to the beginning of each pipe run.

Hope this helps.

I'll try to explain better - it's the first one by the way.

Let's say there's a pipe at elev 500 (center) and another perpendicular to this at elev 0. The latter is to pass on top of the first and so if we're talking about 100mm pipes it would have to be raised to a center elevation of 600 in order to pass over. Now, your method does work, but I was hoping to be able to achieve it "on the fly" without having to bring any other external commands into the picture as I'm going.

I've fooled around with the Match command, attempting to match my pipe's elevation to the elevation of the pipe I wanna pass. This comes close but that's about it...

I'll try to explain better - it's the first one by the way.

Let's say there's a pipe at elev 500 (center) and another perpendicular to this at elev 0. The latter is to pass on top of the first and so if we're talking about 100mm pipes it would have to be raised to a center elevation of 600 in order to pass over. Now, your method does work, but I was hoping to be able to achieve it "on the fly" without having to bring any other external commands into the picture as I'm going.

I've fooled around with the Match command, attempting to match my pipe's elevation to the elevation of the pipe I wanna pass. This comes close but that's about it...

Changing the elevation of the pipe run dialog box doesn't do anything? Is there such an option? I don't do pipe very often, mainly only ductwork.

Changing the elevation of the pipe run dialog box doesn't do anything? Is there such an option?

There is such an option. I've found that the easiest way to do this is to hover the crosshair above the pipe/duct to be passed, and then change my pipes bottom elevation to match it.

Anyway, I've found myself another thing to solve - and this applies equally to ductwork as well:

If you want to change a ducts bottom elevation to another specific elevation, how do you do this? The properties box only shows the ducts center elevation. You can select the duct and grab the elevation tab and adjust it that way, but it gives you no exact control.

There is such an option. I've found that the easiest way to do this is to hover the crosshair above the pipe/duct to be passed, and then change my pipes bottom elevation to match it.

Anyway, I've found myself another thing to solve - and this applies equally to ductwork as well:

If you want to change a ducts bottom elevation to another specific elevation, how do you do this? The properties box only shows the ducts center elevation. You can select the duct and grab the elevation tab and adjust it that way, but it gives you no exact control.

This is what I do:

1st, you have to go to your Duct Layout Preferences and under the 'Routing' tab, uncheck the box labeled "Automatically create riser at new Elevation" under the 'Duct Layout Path' section.

Next, start your ductrun at any desired elevation. Once you get to a point where you want to transition up or down in Elevation, here's what you do using the "Add Ducts" dialog box: under Layout Method, you have two options (Use Rise/Run & Use Routing). Make sure Use Routing is selected, and under Elbow Angle select the degree you want your transitions to be and select the padlock icon to lock this in place (this is important). Now, change the elevation to the desired height. Now back in the drawing model, click once in the direction the duct is continuing and it'll automatically create the run transitioning up or down to the exact elevation. Now just go back to the "Add Ducts" dialog box and unlock the Elbow Angle, and reset it back to "User Defined" in the drop down box, and continue running the duct. That's how you do it 'on the fly' without interruptions. There's more ways to do it but that's probably the most intended way to do things by Autodesk's standards anyways. Hope this helps. 8)

Here's an example. If you click on the video it'll go to the HD version on YouTube, then you can watch it in full screen for best visual quality. Notice I start the duct at a desired elevation, and when I preset the parameters before I changed the elevation, it automatically filled in the transitional piece of duct with the correct elbow angles. 8)

[video=youtube;G5-WHc5GSbE]