How to bend it...

nikhil

alright dats what i wanted to know....by the way did u send me the feature recognition file to my mail...may be i can use that file and see,bcos there might be a possibility that i might have downloaded a wrong file...i am trying to download a new file from autodesk labs but my net connection is giving me alot of trouble today.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nikhil

• JD Mather

• Hopinc

• Mike_Taylor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

.... You cannot edit the AutoCAD drawing file within Inventor,.....

This is getting into a whole different subject, but -

Sure you can. Make sure you select the Options when opening and set to Import. Then you have several options. You can go into the Solid Editing (few people know if this) environment. Or you can Thicken, Delete Face with Heal, Extrude, Hole or any other Feature. You can run Feature Recognition to build sketch and feature tree... there isn't an edit that can't be done that I can think of. Lofts might be a bit difficult to edit.

Going the other way from Inventor to AutoCAD click Environments>AEC Exchange>Save as DWG Solids......

hi JD....i have tried to do as u said..i hope i have done it right....

Now on the left end of that line create the three lines shown and dimension as shown.

Step2.jpg

I don't leave anything hanging unconstrained, so create the horizontal construction line between the top of the mirrored entities and trim the vertical construction mirror line.

Attach the file as you have completed so far.

Step5.jpg

Opening your file it doesn't look like you started from Sheet Metal template - not a big problem.

Find the Convert to Sheet Metal icon or drop down from menu (I don't recall the location in 2008 ).

Then select the Sheet Metal Defaults and set the Thickness to 2mm (your dialog box might look a bit different than attached.)

Thickness.png

Select the Contoured Flange tool and then select the Sketch1 we just completed.

Set the BendRadius to BendRadius/2

Set the Distance to 503 and then click OK.

The Contoured Flange tool is a very power tool that many neglect to use. Actually I would do the part differently in 2010 or later as even more functionality was added to Contoured Flange that would simplify this part. (Your dialog box might look a bit different than mine.)

Notice that with Contoured Flange we need only a single line profile of our overall basic shape (no thickness - Inventor adds that). As I type this I just realized that I forgot to set the thickness to the correct direction in the dialog box. Make sure it Thickens towards the inside of the sketch as the sketch is our overall outside dimensions.

Notice also that Inventor also added our bend radii. (By default inside bend radius = material thickness. For a tighter bend we divided by 2.)

I've got to do a bit of other work - I'll be back later to continue with the part (after this part you should be able to do whatever dimensions and features you need).

Step6.jpg

nikhil,

I have an instructional book for inventor at home, and if I get permission from the author (one of my profs at school) I will send it to you as a .pdf file. It helped a lot of students in our class with Inventor. It is a little bit outdated (2006) I believe, but the interface changes have been very minor between them. I will hopefully be able to send this to you shortly. I will only sned the viable pages are there is a large section on Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing you may not need.

that would be really a big help Mike...i really appreciate it alot...i hope i"ll be able to get that book in pdf...thanks alot Mike

hi JD..i have attached the new file,also may i know what time are u generally online or on this forum...so that i can be online at those times to learn it from you...i am from india.so can u let me know some time when i can get to learn most from you...if its possible bcos i know u might be quite busy with ur work....anyways thanks again.

hi Dave...i hope u have sent me the zip file in my mail id...bcos as i told u i am having trouble regarding the feature recognition software, as the file i downloaded it had just one version of inventor 2008 and i cant recognize if its for 32 bit or for 64 bit...i"ll be really thankful if u can send me the file on my mail id.

Hi,

I have just forwarded the email again Nikhil - hopefully you should receive it this time?

JD- Thanks for the low down on importing an AutoCAD file into Inventor and being able to edit it. I stand corrected -I am now wondering why I did not know how to do that! I cannot remember the technique ever being mentioned in the training courses I have completed.

BTW- JD, did you not see my post asking if you could supply me with an example of a modified "thread.xls" document? I need to create some custom threads and it is not all all clear if these should be in seperate thread spread sheets, or all in one, and how the spread sheet should be divided into different thread size sections?

Re you demonstration - Question, why have you not just modelled half of the chassis and mirrored it with a completed corner. In that way you only have to apply corner treatments once?

Regards all.

Dave

Edited by Hopinc

Sorry Nikhil, I have just received the following message:

:

Error 01373: User's Disk Quota Exceeded.

Sorry, your intended recipient has too much mail stored

in his mailbox.

Your message totalled 10471 Kbytes.

However a small (

you wish to inform your recipient you tried to email.

Dave

ohh not again....i have literally emptied my mail and still the same...im even trying to write my other mail id over here but i am not able to do so....still my other id is niks131,its a google mail account

or u can add me on face book i have same mail id attached to it...the one on which ur getting error msg...u can add me and then share the file over there but i"ll be able to check it only after few hrs