Holes around an extruded tube

barrowfordred

Hi All, I'm just starting out using Solidworks and I've hit a problem.

How do I use the hole wizard to define a set of holes around an extruded tube AND set the start point as 45° from the top dead centre (if that makes sense).

I'd add a picture if I could!

I can use the wizard to position the 1st hole but I find it impossible to edit the sketch and add the 45° dimension, I get the error message stating the sketch is over defined and the dimension cannot be changed.

Do the holes around the tube follow a path, or are they simply revolved around the tube?

Locating holes with the hole wizard can be a daunting task. I have added a file that I think is what you are trying to do. I first drew my circle on the top plane and extruded it using the midplane option. I did this so my top plane would be in the center of my tube. Next I created a sketch on the top plane that had a reference line at 45degrees which was coincident with the edge of the tube. I then used this sketch to create a work plane. That is the key(and there are other ways to do it). You need to have a planar reference to place your points on. That can be the face of a part, but when you are dealing with a round part you should create a plane. Next I made a circular array of that 1 hole.

Let me know if this is what you are trying to do.

HolesExtrudedTube.zip

Thanks for that, however I cannot open the file "Future Version" I guess I should have said version 2008.

It certainly sounds similar to the way I tried it. But I had difficulty because I couldn't place a point on a point or something like that.

I'll go through your instructions and give it a go, thanks again.

However, the whole driving force behind Solidworks is smart dimensions and in this instance it appears to be impossible to angularly dimension the feature!

Edited by barrowfordred

Sorry it was a 2009 version file. Here is a screen shot for you. Its important to remember that when placing the point to locate your hole wizard hole, you need to apply dimensions or relations and you need to have a plane or flat face to work off. Once you click to place your point, then you want to add your relations or dimensions.

In the screen shot you can see both my vertical reference line and my 45degree reference line which is coincident with the outer edge of the cylinder. I then use the 45degree line and its endpoint to create my plane. The plane gets selected during the hole wizard process and i make the point I place coincident with the endpoint of my 45degree line.

I hope that made sense and that it is actually what you are trying to do.

HolesAround.jpg

Yes, that's basically what I want to do.

I've managed it now, although it isn't second nature to me yet and I have to do a lot of thinking LOL. It seems hit and miss for me whether or not I can use the end point as a reference point for the hole.

Thanks again.

No problem. Using the hole wizard takes a bit or time. Its not really "natural". I rarely use the hole wizard honestly, but it does have its benefits depending on what it is that you draw.

Matt,

I know you have SW 2010 starring you in the face. The first section of the video is for you. Look at what your missing:lol:. The second part of video is how I created the hole using 3dsketch in hole wizard. Im not sure if this option is available in SW 2009, I dont use hole wizard that often and I cant remember. Hope its helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyQhBVlc9Xo

thats pretty cool bill. 09 does not have the 3d sketch option for hole wizard and you have more plane creation options. Thanks for making me envious:) The current project holding me back is due in September so I still have two more months to wait. It might just be 2011 by then:)