re-path xrefs in bulk

Jack_O'neill

Hi Guys,

Is there any way to repath xref's in bulk? What I've got is a customer that sent a CD with a couple hundred drawings. These folks make extensive use x-refs, and although they sent the x-refs on the cd, they didn't stay attached, and I really don't want to go through them one at a time and re-attach them all.

Thanks.

Have you tried Reference Manager? You can find it by going to Windows Start > All Programs > Autodesk...

Well, you know, anybody could do it that way!

Thanks...I forgot the Reference Manager was there.

We don't use a lot of x-refs here. Mostly just title blocks and such. Who ever drew these drawings was x-ref crazy. For instance, he created a sheet with all his details scattered all over the place, no rhyme or reason to the sheet, they are everywhere (in model space). Then he created another drawing that was made up of nothing but the first sheet xrefed into the second one, with viewports in the layout tab to the different details in the order he wanted. Then, he made a third sheet that x-ref'd the second through a single viewport on the layout tab, then x-ref's his titleblock into that. And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, the titleblock is made up of 3 xrefs! And this is one of his simpler sheets!

Out of 165 sheets, I had 203 broken x-refs. Gonna send this guy a bill for my increased alcohol consumption!!!

Thanks for the help!

I may be missing something here, but if you place the files in the same folder & the xref'd files are there, they should be all loaded.

You might want to tell him about using the "eTrasmit" function.

I may be missing something here, but if you place the files in the same folder & the xref'd files are there, they should be all loaded.

You might want to tell him about using the "eTrasmit" function.

No, you're not missing anything. They tried to explain their file system to me but it didn't make much sense. They have all the files that are finished sheets in one directory, all the drawings that are x-ref'd into those in another directory, and then all the little individual drawings that make up the x-ref's in yet another directory on their servers. Then they put 2 more directories on their FTP site and copied most of the information to those. Notice I said "most"...they didnt' quite get it all copied somehow. To top it all off, they then copied those files from the FTP site into 2 more directories (that were named something else) on a CD and mailed that to me.

After I got it all sorted out, I was missing about 40 or so of the files. I made a list of the missing x-refs (some of which are nested 5 levels deep) and pointed out one circular reference and emailed that to the guy. A couple days went by and he sent me about 12 or 15 of the missing drawings with a note that said as soon as they located the others, he would send them along.

I think I'll give up.

I think I'll give up.

Sound's like a "Barrel of laughs"

Personal opinion - if thats how they organise their files HOW do they get any work done???:?

Sound's like a "Barrel of laughs"

Personal opinion - if thats how they organise their files HOW do they get any work done???:?

I don't really know. This architect is trying to make a legacy for himself out of a parking garage. He is an "artiste" and leave it to the poor drafters and contractors to figure out how to make his "vision" come to life.

I think he's been smokin' crack.....

I don't really know. This architect is trying to make a legacy for himself out of a parking garage. He is an "artiste" and leave it to the poor drafters and contractors to figure out how to make his "vision" come to life.

I think he's been smokin' crack.....

What this artichoke may not know is that his consultants will bid him out of work because of complexity such as this once the word gets out.

I'm betting your price will go up next time.

What this artichoke may not know is that his consultants will bid him out of work because of complexity such as this once the word gets out.

I'm betting your price will go up next time.

I wish I could make it so. Fortunately for me and him, I just draw the stuff, don't have anything to do with pricing it.

Someday...when I'm working from home in my boxers with a 3 day growth of beard and ZZTop blaring in the background....